Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 PM

Default Three mates and a Mike

Wet and rainy day so I'll post about last Saturday.

As you know, been in Japan, unable to get out. Got home late Thursday night. Looked on Friday and saw Sat. weather was going to be beautiful.
I had a few things to load on the boat and we planned a late leisurely start.

I met Tawn, Sonny (both mates out of Deale) and Mike at Chesapeake Beach around 1pm.
I had a few friends scattered across the bay from the CR buoy to the bay bridge. A quick phone call to a couple led me to believe they were not setting the world on fire. I told them I would check out a little farther south and we headed for the CP buoy looking for sign (bait and gannets).
Not much showed on the screen and no birds diving, but we did see some gannets flying and sitting. As we approached the CP buoy, I slowed to trolling speed and Tawn, Sonny, and Mike put out the spread. It sure is nice when you get told, "We got this, you just play with the pointy end of the boat"
Tawn set one side, Sonny set the other, and Mike pitched in where applicable.

Because it was a sunny afternoon, we put all six rods off the boards. Sonny wanted to know some of Captain Johns secrets. I told him that because I ran the back of the boat, they were my secrets I also told him I had a rig he probably never saw run before. When they pulled out my "six pack" that I had Rob build for me, he was interested to say the least. It has six nine inch teasers and a nine inch lure, which puts a lot of "thump" in the water. We ran one off each side closest to the board 8 bars back.
We dropped lines in the channel and headed toward the western shore. As I approached the channel edge (50 ft) the six pack on Tawn's side released. Mike grabbed the rod and brought in a nice 1st fish of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:33 PM

I slid into about 38 ft of water without seeing any large amount of bait, so I circled back toward our first hookup. A tug was running that 50 ft edge headed north, so I had to speed up to make it across in front of him.
I was trolling at about 2.5-2.8 on the first hookup. My thought was that the water was still a little cold, and without stinger hooks, I'd run slightly slower than my normal 3.0-3.5 during the season.
I bumped the throttle up to about 4.0 to avoid the tug. Everything was running fine. The other two lures were large umbrellas off each side and I didn't want them to pop the clip.
As I approached the edge, POW, one of the umbrellas (out 6 bars) on Tawns side got crushed. It didn't just come out of the clip, it got ripped out of the clip at 4.0 mph. The fish just couldn't catch up to the single hook, and we recorded it as a knockdown.

When the tug passed, I swung back to the edge hoping for another hit Unfortunately, nothing happened on my pass back west and again east, over the edge.

5th
Old 04-15-2014, 03:39 PM

It was time to try deeper water. As I headed toward the CP buoy, I told a story about how I had a friend with me once, and every time I circled the CP buoy, we picked up a fish.

The CP didn't let me down this time either.

An umbrella back 5 bars got hit and Sonny reeled in a nice fish.
Sonny struggles to get a good hold on the fish for a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM

Sonny, like most mates, doesn't get a chance to reel in many fish during the course of the season. We are always setting lines and coaching customers on what to do in order to get their fish in the boat. Tawn was glad to get his buddy a fish on this day.

Sonny finally gets his fish orientated toward the camera.

Both fish were hand lipped by Tawn and returned to the water in short order.

All fish and knockdown came off Tawn's side. This allowed us to "rib" Sonny the rest of the day
I know Tawn went out the following day (Sunday) and was successful as well.

5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:12 PM

Wow - week before opener - calm water , at the CP and only a few fish

With good weather and that much talent on the boat - you guys should have cleaned up.

Great seeing you made it back - you picked perfect day to fish.

FWIW: Fished near TPL Saturday - one 38'' - one missed.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:12 PM

We had a great time Marty - Thanks for the invite and it was nice to see Mike again. Sorry if Sonny & I were a little "talkative", we had Murphy's Stout for breakfast before we met up with you. I will definetly return the favor soon!

We took the big boat out again Sunday around 1000. Six rods, five on the boards and one deep.

Hung two nearly identical fish right around 83. Both on the boards, one on a white umbrella, one on a green. It ended up getting fairly rough by about 2pm so we packed it in.

Last edited by Tawn; 04-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Sonny, like most mates, doesn't get a chance to reel in many fish during the course of the season. We are always setting lines and coaching customers on what to do in order to get their fish in the boat. Tawn was glad to get his buddy a fish on this day.

Sonny finally gets his fish orientated toward the camera.

Both fish were hand lipped by Tawn and returned to the water in short order.

All fish and knockdown came off Tawn's side. This allowed us to "rib" Sonny the rest of the day
I know Tawn went out the following day (Sunday) and was successful as well.

5th
Marty,
Thanks for the post. I probably won't get out before Saturday, so good luck to all. It's funny how some days all the bites are on one side of the boat. Last year I caught most of my fish on the port side. I tried setting everything the same, turning the boat both directions and it didn't matter. Finally the last week of the season, both boards were catching. Go figure.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:00 PM

OMG! OMG!! OMG!!!

Hey Marty.................you know what I'm talkin about.................Mark
Old 04-15-2014, 06:15 PM

I'm going stircrazy

Maybe DNR doesn't know about CBA
5th
Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Marty, a very conscientiously done report

Last edited by B-Faithful; 04-15-2014 at 08:46 PM.