Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Really?

I'm scrapping the barrel to keep this place alive.. Sorry...

I think I'm going fishing this weekend, so maybe a report will be my next thread...

We really need another topic to discuss..

Since Steve and Shawn have abandoned ship, no fishing reports.

Come to think of it.. Hockey starts Friday !!!!

Any other thoughts ??? Stinkbugs ??? Governors race ??? Portis out for 6 weeks !!!! ( don't really care, but his injury sounds PAINFUL !!!!)
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM

So Brian; where are you going fishing? I don't think we fish the same waters. Are you targeting rock? Jigging,trolling?

I hope to be out this weekend as well. With the slip on Bodkin Creek (above bay bridge); I hope to be targeting rock trolling with #15 tonys. If we don't get harassed by blues, I will be making up tandem rigs with storm shads as well. I hope these cool nights have the bait leaving the rivers and rock staging to ambush.

If anyone gets out tonight or tomorrow, please post water conditions.

Brian; I've been trying to keep the site going as well. I'm usually not so "chatty", but we need something to read when you log on.

Here are some more topics for discussion.
1) It must be fall, because when I wear my jeans, I don't feel the pee splash back on my legs when I tinkle in shorts.
2) It's too cold for my "keen" sandals on the boat. What kind of shoe/boots do you wear in the fall on the deck (I wear L.L. Bean duck boots). Warm and no scuff marks.

5th (Marty)
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
I'm scrapping the barrel to keep this place alive.. Sorry...

I think I'm going fishing this weekend, so maybe a report will be my next thread...

We really need another topic to discuss..

Since Steve and Shawn have abandoned ship, no fishing reports.

Come to think of it.. Hockey starts Friday !!!!

Any other thoughts ??? Stinkbugs ??? Governors race ??? Portis out for 6 weeks !!!! ( don't really care, but his injury sounds PAINFUL !!!!)

I assumed it was obvious that when the board got quiet everyone knew the fishing has been pretty hot. It has been for the last 3 weeks. The schools of fish in the middle bay are pretty massive when you find them. No specific technique required, the schools have been so large every technique works "if you find them".
Old 10-06-2010, 09:01 PM

GO RAVENS!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA STEElErrrsssss

An all composite modern way to build a boat!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Fishing is on fire, fish with me and I'll share information. For now, I won't post it here because I don't know you or trust you. Plus, so many people who post here were very anti my method of fishing when DNR got involved last year. They wanted to know why jigging was not targeted too. Rather than fight, they tried to take everyone down with them. Not people I want to share with.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigStix View Post
Fishing is on fire, fish with me and I'll share information. For now, I won't post it here because I don't know you or trust you. Plus, so many people who post here were very anti my method of fishing when DNR got involved last year. They wanted to know why jigging was not targeted too. Rather than fight, they tried to take everyone down with them. Not people I want to share with.
Anti-your fishing method? You really believe that? A good angler will adapt to the most productive methods of fishing, 3/4 of the time I have a jigging rod in my hand and when the fish are spread out over vast distances I troll. I have no problems sharing info I just assumed I was inferior to the elders of the board. I've been fishing the area just south of the little choptank working the breaking fish and birds and the fishing has been wonderful. A moron can get it right when the birds tell them where to go.

As far as the debate about fishing regulations, I have no say, therefore I just fish. If I'm allowed to fish I will.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Plus, so many people who post here were very anti my method of fishing when DNR got involved last year. They wanted to know why jigging was not targeted too. Rather than fight, they tried to take everyone down with them. Not people I want to share with.
Dude, Brother, Fellow fishing person;
I was at all the meetings last fall/winter. I don't know how you could make this statement. Let's be honest, trolling was targeted by DNR (we harass the fish and drag them through the water). At every meeting, you had jigging professionals (Tom Hughs, Ritchie Gaines and several others) demanding "ONE ROD, ONE PERSON".
From your posts, I have great respect for you even though we have never met. I don't jig very much because of "tennis elbow", and because I've never put in the amount of time necessary to be good at it. I respect your type of fishing and get the fact that it is a lot more fun to bring in big fish on lighter tackle (which is why I love livelinning and bait fishing). I wish I could do more of it.
Trust me we "faught" for all we were worth to try to salvage the C/R season. We didn't want anyone to be negatively effected. We felt, and still do, that this was MOSTLY all a vendetta against a single person by the MCBA. I can't tell you how many times "trolling through a bird show with all 17 lines going down" was repeated.
And what do we have to show for it? Nothing but bad blood among brother fisherman. The charter captains didn't have a banner year with bookings. I suspect the YOY index will not show a huge increase in spawning. And Maryland looks like an ass among all other fishing states. What other state "restricts Catch and Release, while promoting Catch and Kill"?
I look forward to more posts by you, and I hope we are still "board buddies".
We need to stick together and save our resource!!!!
Best of luck to you this fall, bring in the big ones.
5th (Marty)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
Anti-your fishing method? You really believe that? A good angler will adapt to the most productive methods of fishing, 3/4 of the time I have a jigging rod in my hand and when the fish are spread out over vast distances I troll. I have no problems sharing info I just assumed I was inferior to the elders of the board. I've been fishing the area just south of the little choptank working the breaking fish and birds and the fishing has been wonderful. A moron can get it right when the birds tell them where to go.

As far as the debate about fishing regulations, I have no say, therefore I just fish. If I'm allowed to fish I will.
Yes, I really believe that. And unless you were under a rock, or not here at all for the debates that ran wild through these boards, you would know I was right. As soon as DNR proposed regulations (and yes 5thTuition they were targeted at trolling) the trollers quickly turned on the jiggers and light tackle guys. Many names I see regularly on this board were very quick to start pointing fingers and throwing light tackle guys under the bus. Many so called proponents of no regulation were stating things like "Jiggers handle way more fish than any troller" "Fly fishermen fight fish way longer and therefore put more stress on the fish" "a good jigger can put 100 fish in the boat in a day whereas a good troller can put 20"

all of those statements were made over and over again by people on this board. People that left Tidalfish becuase their little feelings got hurt. And there began the great divide among fishing methods.

So, yes, I believe that. And I have rarely trolled, but if regulations were put in against my method of fishing, I would not act like a spurned 5 year old and say "well that's not fair, they need to be punished too"

PS Yes, you do have a say. Show up at the meetings. I was at every single one last year. Was my voice heard, not sure. I spoke at many of them, but stopped as soon as infighting began among fishermen

PPS I fish the same area as you and yes the fishing has been more than adequate

Last edited by JigStix; 10-07-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Dude, Brother, Fellow fishing person;
I was at all the meetings last fall/winter. I don't know how you could make this statement. Let's be honest, trolling was targeted by DNR (we harass the fish and drag them through the water). At every meeting, you had jigging professionals (Tom Hughs, Ritchie Gaines and several others) demanding "ONE ROD, ONE PERSON".
From your posts, I have great respect for you even though we have never met. I don't jig very much because of "tennis elbow", and because I've never put in the amount of time necessary to be good at it. I respect your type of fishing and get the fact that it is a lot more fun to bring in big fish on lighter tackle (which is why I love livelinning and bait fishing). I wish I could do more of it.
Trust me we "faught" for all we were worth to try to salvage the C/R season. We didn't want anyone to be negatively effected. We felt, and still do, that this was MOSTLY all a vendetta against a single person by the MCBA. I can't tell you how many times "trolling through a bird show with all 17 lines going down" was repeated.
And what do we have to show for it? Nothing but bad blood among brother fisherman. The charter captains didn't have a banner year with bookings. I suspect the YOY index will not show a huge increase in spawning. And Maryland looks like an ass among all other fishing states. What other state "restricts Catch and Release, while promoting Catch and Kill"?
I look forward to more posts by you, and I hope we are still "board buddies".
We need to stick together and save our resource!!!!
Best of luck to you this fall, bring in the big ones.
5th (Marty)
5th,
I have no problem with trollers. I have many friends who are charter captains and that is how they make their living. I have many friend who are recs and they love to fish that way and I have much respect for them as well (also for you). BUT, I don't like infighting among fishermen, be it Charter Captains and outboards, or outboard vs outboard. It is BS. And it is BS for people to try to bring others down with you, rather than work together to alleviate the problem. You were not one that I ever saw bash another method, and I do recognize your name from TF. But there are those who did. If you look deep into your soul you know I'm telling the truth

and seriously, the person that trolled through a gannet show with his entire spread is a major part of the problem and was a primary target from what I have heard 2nd hand and read on this board and the other. Unfortunate, but that is a topic for a whole other thread.

I agree with you too on Tom Hughes. As a light tackle guide, I truly believe he saw an opportunity to expand his market and used it in his favor. I believe everyone should be able to fish by any method they wish, and keep as many fish as are legally allowed, or release them all. There are many who preach "return fish over 40" yet they are out there every day of the year keeping limits of 18"-30" fish. This is the kind of stuff that will be used against outboards by the powers that be.

OK, I've spoken enough, I've said my piece. Noone has to agree with me, that is your right. But I won't post any more on conservation. The bad taste is in my mouth still, and this is a fishing board. You are welcome on my boat any time. I fish out of Breezy. Hope to see you on the water. I will tell you what, I trust you, I'll send you my next fishing report and you are welcome to do with it as you wish.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 PM

it hard to post a fishing report that may lead to you getting in hot water or used aganst you. Why do it?