Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2011, 11:45 PM

Default Wild Pigs

Wow; anyone watching the Discovery Channel and the shows about the wild pig population explosion.

Maybe I should sell my fishing gear and buy a 270 with night scope.

About 15 yrs ago, I hunted a quail plantation in South Carolina and we saw the destruction they can do to a farmers field in a single night. They did hog hunts as well as quail hunts on the same property. I guess they are expanding at a rate quicker than they can be harvested.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Marty,
I went to SC a few years ago and hunted wild pigs. Some of the pigs are domesticated feral pigs and some were Russian Boars. The hunting was in a marsh next to the Santee River. Our giude showed us where Francis Marion the Swamp Fox ambushed and killed a bunch of British soldiers on the Old Georgetown Rd. This was just a piece of high ground that went through the woods before you got into the open area of the marsh. We killed three pigs, and slowed cooked one for a neighborhood party. It was really good, but you need a Lipitor for dessert.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM

The show " The pig bomb" has been aired several times. Not only do the pigs eat a ton but they destroy the land. They are fun to hunt but their population has gotten WAY out of control. They have a big problem with pythons in the south too. Good show.............Gary
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM

There was another show about monster wild pigs.

Some was sorta urban legend but a few were proven to be over 500 lbs.

Screw the .270 - grab a .300 magnum for one of those beasts.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 PM

and i was thinking they'd be a lot more fun on light tackle.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Good point...Marty don't you have some nice heavy duty trolling gear that might work on them there peegs ?
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Hunted russian boar a few years ago with my brother in north carolina. Fun time on the ground stalking with bows. Meat was delicious...............Mark
Old 01-19-2011, 04:26 AM

Anyone know of a good outfitter in NC that does hogs? I'd like to get in on the action. Yummie

TED
Old 01-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Nurse View Post
Anyone know of a good outfitter in NC that does hogs? I'd like to get in on the action. Yummie
TED
I'm sure a quick google search would get you plenty of outfits. When I went to a South Carolina quail hunt plantation, there were several ways to hunt. You could foot hunt, horseback, hunt from horse drawn wagons, or out of jeeps.
If you look at hog hunts, they will have several ways to hunt also; possibly foot hunting, deer stands or blinds, or with dogs, comes to mind.
The place I quail hunted was Bullock's Plantation (I think that's how it's spelled).
It was a great father/son quail hunting experience with my son and our dog (along with some plantation dogs). My son was about 14 and I wanted to make it a place with lots of birds and shooting opportunities. We had a blast.

Good luck
5th (Marty)
Old 01-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Nurse View Post

TED
Ted, You don't have to go to NC to hunt hogs. There are several in PA that only take 2 hours to get to. Most if not all of the hog hunts are high fenced. I have shot 2 of them and they are good table fare. You might have to give up one of your romantic weekends to go to NC though...........Gary