Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Default Chasing Spanish Mackeral 8/25;8/26

Trying to load picture; report to follow if successful.
5th (Marty)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spanish Mackeral.jpg (24.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 08-26-2010, 07:02 PM

That is some bad hat Harry! Nice fish.......now lets have the low down......spot burner!!!..Gary
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Thumbs up

Ok; the lowdown for Gary. As you remember, Rob (fish nut) took me out on his 25 Carolina Classic for my first Spanish trip last Saturday. Lots of fun and fish to boot. I need to try this.
Off to Marty's for some planers and drone lures. Two of my buddies who were at the last MSSA spanish presentation had the same idea. All of us bought "stuff" from Jim and couldn't wait to "wet" the lures.
On Tues. (24th) my buddy calls and says he needed some help taking out an "inexperienced" angler; could I lend a hand trolling for spanish. Absolutly.
When I met him at 5:30am Wed Morning; the young lady in the picture gets out of his truck. The morning is already off to a good start, as my buddy is as ugly as I am.
After launching at SP around 6, we head out and under the bay bridge. As we get past bouy 90, he turns the boat around and heads back to SP.
What's up. He says he left all his "new spanish" tackle in the truck.
Did I mention we don't fish with women very often
Off again, headed to "gum thickets". We arrive a little later than we wanted, so several charters were already "looking". We get the spread out while the young lady takes the helm. She did a great job avoiding the charters (she's a Nascar fan) at 6.5 to 7.5 mph.
We catch several blues, but spanish was on our minds (at least mine; I was convinced Mark had his mind elsewhere). Off to the mouth of Eastern Bay. Because our guest (Michelle) was new to fishing, we encouraged her to bring in as many fish as possible.
Our distracted captain, had to be told when I spotted breaking fish or bird activity. We caught several more nice size blues, but back in the drink for them. As we crossed deep water (100 ft) one of the rods bounces hard. Shelly graps the rod and brings in a 25 inch (citation) spanish mackeral.
Smiles all around the boat. We catch one more spanish before we head back to SP. On the way I convince Mark to stop at Mark Lagano's favorite picture taking spot for a photo. (Yes, her shirt is an OCC American Chopper Tee)
Everyone had a great day; I needed to get back out again tomorrow (Thurs).

Thursday story to follow in next post.
5th (Marty)
Old 08-26-2010, 08:41 PM

8/26 Thursday
A friend of mine owns a glacier bay crusing style boat (only four rod holders) and had wanted me to get him out on some fish. Great, four rods is all we need with these planers. I call him and tell him we (Lou and I) will bring all the rods and tackle necessary for blues and spanish.
We met at his boat on the South River at 6 am and headed directly to Bloody Point. Half way across the mouth of Eastern Bay, we drop lines and quickly pick up a very nice bluefish. Shortly thereafter, another rod gets hit. My friend (another inexperienced angler) grabs the rod and proceeds to reel in the fish. His last experience with us was fall fishing on some nice size stripers. Using his fall striper technique, he pumps the rod back and trys to wind on the downfall. He found out that just giving the rod a little bit of slack will reset the planer. The fish gets off while he tries to bring in a "set" number two planer.
We hook up several more nice blues and a decent (23 in) rock on one of our turns. Saw three pods of breaking fish today (five yesterday) and had a good day on the bay. Alas, no spanish today; but for a inexperienced crew (three times for me, two for Lou and one for Bob) we are getting the hang of this mackeral thing. I'm learning more each time out.
When we get back to my friends marina, he asks us how to filet the catch. Lou takes my friends NEW (never been used) filet knife and shows him how to filet rock and blues; and his FINGER. Nothing a few cuss words and a bandaid wouldn't fix.
Today, I had a #1 planer that just would not stay "set". I could set it and it would pop every 15-20 seconds. I eventually got frustrated and ran only #2 planers (everything deep) which may have cost us some opportunities for spanish.
Because, we were so close to Marty's Bait and Tackle, I ran over to see Jim about what I was doing wrong with the #1 planer. Jim took a look at it and pointed out that it was a little off center, and that was probably the cause. He said "give it to me and I'll replace it".
I told him I would straighten it out and try it again, but he insisted it was no problem to replace it with a new one. Now don't go taking all your old beatup planers over to Jim; I had just purchased this planer two days before, and it was the first time I had it in the water. Jim says occasionally someone will step on a planer on the deck and throw it out of whack. I know we didn't step on it, but I figure I probably did something to misalign the planer. So for you other "newbies", check to see that your planers are "straight".
So I got one replaced, and I bought another one.
For any other "newbies" out there (to spanish trolling); see Jim and support his store. Jim consistantly goes the extra mile for his customers (freshest bait, staying open past closing time if you call and say you're on your way, carrying the best selection of usable lures for bay fishing, and now replacing my planer that was probably just fine when new and out of the package.
Jim also has a diagram of his spread that he gives to us novice spanish trollers.
A big thanks to Jim for all the help;
5th (Marty)
Old 08-26-2010, 09:27 PM

For any other "newbies" out there (to spanish trolling); see Jim and support his store. Jim consistantly goes the extra mile for his customers (freshest bait, staying open past closing time if you call and say you're on your way, carrying the best selection of usable lures for bay fishing, and now replacing my planer that was probably just fine when new and out of the package.
Jim also has a diagram of his spread that he gives to us novice spanish trollers.
A big thanks to Jim for all the help;
5th (Marty)[/QUOTE]

AGREED!

Nice write up Marty, glad to see your success.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 08-26-2010, 09:58 PM

Thanks for the great report and nice LOOKING photo

TED
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 AM

Marty. Glad you guys are getting the hang of planner trolling. Spanish are a great change from the normal routine. I am headed out Saturday to give it a try. I might even try to chum some blues in for light tackel action.

The smoked blues were great.

The Mac was awsome baked with slat peeper and some high octane OH.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 08-27-2010 at 07:32 PM.