Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM

Default My NEW BOAT !!!!!!

Is getting farther and farther out of reach....

Petro just delivered my oil..

$4.09 a gallon..

WTF ?????
Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM

i saw a Saudi on tv that said regarding prices that "Oil should be sold at the pharmacy.".

it's my belief that someday, me and family will be huddled in the house shivering and some guy will come blowing by in a 42' boat; no problem. the free market i guess?

to save the day - have you looked at geothermal? unlike regular 'air' heatpump, cold winter temps do not ruin savings.

to compare, you have to calculate operational cost savings over a 5 yr period (an assumed low-repair operating period for new machinery) and compare it to the substantial cost for installation of the new geo system; which is highly site-dependent. if there's a payback in 5 years - it's really time to consider it. that comparison includes an assumption that your current system will operate w/o major failure during that same 5 yr period.

when i got my current system (had to) 8 yrs ago, i only had to compare 'the difference in price' between a new oil vs new geo systems, by comparing the relative installation costs vs projected cost savings for 5 yrs - it was close and oil was much cheaper back then. and, 8 yrs ago, i could not find an actual homeowner that had geo and was willing to say they liked it etc.. but i think that has changed also.

ps - :i put in some new insulation last year and calculated enough savings to get the new boat.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:21 PM

OUCH

Hope the predictions of gas at $4.50 this summer do not come true.

High fuel prices just stops the economy in it's tracks.

Saw an electric boat - about 23 foot Duffy - at Baltimore boat show.
Might be what we turn to.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
OUCH

Hope the predictions of gas at $4.50 this summer do not come true.

High fuel prices just stops the economy in it's tracks.

Saw an electric boat - about 23 foot Duffy - at Baltimore boat show.
Might be what we turn to.
Why don't you buy one and tell us how much it costs to charge it? Electricity isn't free. Oh, those 90 mile trips up and down the Bay will be a thing of the past.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakesdad View Post
Is getting farther and farther out of reach....

Petro just delivered my oil..

$4.09 a gallon..

WTF ?????
You are talking about home heating oil right? I have been using Husky for my oil for years as a will call customer. I call and they are out to the house in 1-2 days. I have called around before checking prices and they have always been the cheapest, last delivery was 241 gallons at $3.24 at the end of January.

Today 150 gallons or more is $3.29

http://www.huskyheatingoil.com/
Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 AM

I just dropped Petro myself!!!!! I am now with Carroll Oil and am locked in 3.29/gal until June 1 when the renew contracts for the next year.

Last year this time Petro credited me after I got one of those types of bills that were out of whack with their competition. In order to get the credit I had to renew a year long contract though. Well it just ended and I shopped around as petro was the most expensive by far.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 PM

Greg, what kind of contract do you speak of ?

The one thing that keeps me with Petro, is their service contract. For $350 a year, they are on call 24/7 and repair " Ole Bessy" for nothing. Zero, Nada. One night years ago, in the middle of the night, she broke down, they were here for hours in the dead of winter, and damn near replaced the whole thing.

I know I really need to replace the furnace, but at 3500, I just have different priorities right now... Like a boat....
Old 02-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:

The one thing that keeps me with Petro, is their service contract. For $350 a year, they are on call 24/7 and repair " Ole Bessy" for nothing. Zero, Nada. One night years ago, in the middle of the night, she broke down, they were here for hours in the dead of winter, and damn near replaced the whole thing.

I know I really need to replace the furnace, but at 3500, I just have different priorities right now... Like a boat....
I am with Carroll also. You can lock in a price per gallon for a certain amout of time, all suppliers do it. I locked in late summer/early fall and am paying 2.99 per gallon. I call 3 suppliers every year late summer/early fall to see who has the best price. If the price of oil drops you could pay more than the open market, but how often does it drop in price? Ask for Michelle Wheatly at Carroll and tell her Rich Bagby sent you. She used to work for me and will give you the best deal she can.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Dude that is way wacked...on road diesel aint even close 2 that much and it has taxes on it...u're ankles must be sore from grabbin em!! I've got a guy that runs about .05/gal cheaper on average than Husky (which I found 2 be the cheapest here in AA county).

BTW, u shoulda bought my Parker when I was selling it...
Old 02-11-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I just get a delivery contract. I replaced my whole heating and cooling system 2 years ago so I am under warranty. With the new high efficiency oil burner I go through almost a full tank less over the winter than the old system.. Cost to heat the house still hurts though.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-12-2011 at 03:42 PM.