Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Another Senseless Death

I just don't get it...

Caleb Moore, an innovative freestyle snowmobile rider who was hurt in a dramatic crash at the Winter X Games in Colorado, died Thursday morning. He was 25.

Moore had been staying at a hospital in Grand Junction since the crash in Aspen one week before. Family spokeswoman Chelsea Lawson confirmed his death.

A former all-terrain vehicle racer, Moore switched over to snowmobiles as a teenager and didn't take long to rise to the top of his sport. He won four Winter X Games medals, including a bronze last season when his younger brother, Colten, captured gold.

Caleb Moore was attempting a backflip Jan. 24 in the freestyle event when the skis on his 450-pound snowmobile caught the lip of the landing area, sending him flying over the handlebars. Moore landed face first into the snow with his snowmobile rolling over on him.

Moore stayed down for quite some time, before walking off with help and going to a hospital to treat a concussion. Moore developed bleeding around his heart and was flown to a hospital in Grand Junction for surgery. The family later said that Moore, of Krum, Texas, also had a complication involving his brain.

Seriously.. What the **** is wrong with people... 25 years old....
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM

You're getting too old to remember how at 14 to mid 20's - we were indestructible / bullet proof.

I buried 5 good friends from 18 to 22 years old. Car crashes , drowning , fall off a cliff plus a suicide with shot gun.

I was right there - easily could have be me. I honestly never thought I'd see 30 and now 50 is closer then I'd like.

You live life hard - some times it hits back.

Caleb Moore pushed it to the extreme - and he lost.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM

Skip is right. When my dad died, I was 17 and went down a path that wasn't good for me. I, and several friends, had motorcycles and we did things we shouldn't have done. A couple of my friends weren't as lucky as I was. If you can remember the late 60's and early 70's, it was the time of the chopper. Bikes like Peter Fonda rode in the movies. Front brakes were for sissy. One friend was buried, another walks with a limp to this day with a steel rod in his leg.
I was lucky; I met my future wife. She had a great influence on me. I stopped riding with my group, kept the bike and she and I rode together.
I went back to college, we married, and I am the person I am today because of her.
I'm sorry this guy lost his life. It is a waste, prayers to the family.
5th
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 PM

Listen, I"M LUCKY I'm alive also.. Just Dumb Dumb things in my teens.. I've buried a few friends myself also... BUT...

Snow Mobiles aren't made to do flips... That's just common sense.

Theres no ****ing way I would allow my kid, despite the piles of money, fame and chicks to do such a thing...

Just senseless
Old 01-31-2013, 04:47 PM

Water skis are not meant to be used at midnight

Canoes are not meant to be used down a snowy hill

Bikes are not meant to be used off garage roof

Shopping carts are not meant to be used down steep hills

List goes on forever - people get killed many ways. Been a few die from being hit by a baseball in the chest - in what is considered a safe game.

I send this one out to him - RIP.

http://youtu.be/bn4wCqP5j8w

Last edited by Skip; 01-31-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM

Hey Guys.....Watch this!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 AM

One year I was skiing the Wisp and one of these riders was there . They had a make shift ramp in the parking lot. I've seen it on tv, but to see them in person, I was blown away at the height they got. I think it was the third jump when he did a back flip. At the time , didn't realize that's what he was going to do. I thought he hit the ramp wrong and started to flip him. Talk about slow motion ! It looks like they're not gonna make it , and unfortunately for Caleb Moore, he didn't.

John

Last edited by Jig Monster; 02-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM

We should ban snowmobiles. Nobody NEEDS a snowmobile anyway....

Do it for the children.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
We should ban snowmobiles. Nobody NEEDS a snowmobile anyway....

Do it for the children.
We don't have to ban snowmobiles, we just have to reduce the amount of gas they hold. Sponser a bill for only having one gallon tanks
5th (Marty)