Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2010, 09:07 AM

Default Fish Report 7-1-2010

The white perch were out in force yesterday. Fished from12:00pm 4:00pm using grass shrimp and small jigs. Due to the wind I couldn’t make it out in the Patapsco proper I was forced close to the shoreline from Rivera Beach to ft Smallwood. Caught 7 rock on ultra light tackle 4lb test. They were a blast 14- 17” all released. We also caught roughly 100 white perch. We kept 20 for dinner in the 9”- 11” range.

Dinner last night fried perch, Mac and cheese, coleslaw and crab soup. Of course a few beers to wash it down……

Have a great holiday gang.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Sounds like a good day to me. White perch is some mighty fine eating...........Gary
Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 AM

We hit White Perch(40+), Spot (5) and Croaker(2), off Cobb Island but could not get any WP over 9". We were using Blood worms on number 6 hooks, in 15' of water. We could see them churning the surface all around us. What is the trick for catching the fatter ones? Great fireworks at Colonial Beach, the best part were the cheers at the end!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLF35 View Post
We hit White Perch(40+), Spot (5) and Croaker(2), off Cobb Island but could not get any WP over 9". We were using Blood worms on number 6 hooks, in 15' of water. We could see them churning the surface all around us. What is the trick for catching the fatter ones? Great fireworks at Colonial Beach, the best part were the cheers at the end!

Wolf. A few tricks I have noticed over the years for catching better grade white perch are.

If the bite is almost instant increase the size of your bait offering .Sometimes this will intimidate the smaller fish.

Also it seams bigger perch hit lures. Small jigs, lure Jensen beetle spins, trout bombs, rattle traps, and even Gotcha plugs.

Perch school and tend to segregate in size classes, so if you are in a school of small perch move to another spot until you find better size fish. Perch love structure and shell bottoms.

If you are looking for bigger perch stay away from well know areas and find a secret honey hole.

Keep a log of your perch spots they tend to be in the same areas year after year.

These critters grow fast. When I am fishing regularly / daily out of my kayak C/R I swear I can see the same school of fish grow roughly a ˝ inch in a week during the summer.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the help, will keep a log and try the bigger bait route next time. Have you had sucess live lining WP for Rock's or do you stay with Spot?