Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Default June 1( as in 1 keeper)

Started at the triple buoys about 6:30 and hit Love Point and LP buoy then over to the mouth of the Magothy, down to sandy point light, up to Balt light, then back to LP and throughout the chummers at love point. Caught 11 fish!! 1 was big enough to keep. Ran tsunamis and BFGs and 1 Capt John spoonbrella. The spoonbrella was the last rod to go over and it caught 9 of the 11 fish. It was stupid how that thing kept hitting. A huge BFG fan suddenly wanted more info about this contraption I call the "spoonbrella".
It was fun to push him out of his comfort zone and show a Rock Hall boy there is more to the world than BFGs. Wait til I bust out the secret stuff next week that might win us the tournement.
Most of the fish were caught just west of Love Point on the edge were everyone was chumming. Talked to 1 charter and they had 4 barely legals in the box off chum. Back up the bay by 12:00 to swap out crews and head back out but just to ride for the afternoon. So much less stressful when you leave the rods down below.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 PM

I know you bought some of Capt. Johns spreader bars at TriState. Are you going to put them over as well?

I'm running:
1) 16 bars 4oz
2) 14 bars 8oz
3) 12 bars 10oz
4) 10 bars 12 oz
5) 8 bars 16oz
6) 6 bars 20 oz

If my lighter lures are getting hit, I wind every rod up two bars
If my heavy lures are getting hit, I let every rod out two more bars
5th ( Marty )
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 AM

Marty,
It's hard to teach these old dogs new tricks. The skulls are particularly thick over here sometimes. I'm supposed to go Monday eve and plan to run at least 3, maybe all 4 of Capt Johns rigs (2 spreaders/2 umbrellas). I did lose a teaser spoon of my green umbrella yesterday; the swivel broke I told the crew that it must have been a monster to break a 75lb test swivel (or whatever he uses). Might call you later today or tomorrow with an order and try to pick it up Thurs eve or Fri day if possible? I REALLY don't want to have to chum off her just yet (if ever).

I was running the green umbrella with a 28oz inline directly attached out 3 bars, short and deep right out the back center.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
I know you bought some of Capt. Johns spreader bars at TriState. Are you going to put them over as well?

I'm running:
1) 16 bars 4oz
2) 14 bars 8oz
3) 12 bars 10oz
4) 10 bars 12 oz
5) 8 bars 16oz
6) 6 bars 20 oz

If my lighter lures are getting hit, I wind every rod up two bars
If my heavy lures are getting hit, I let every rod out two more bars
5th ( Marty )
Hey Marty...what is the swallowest water you'll run this setup in?

Phil and I have had 5 variations of Capt John spoons and umbrellas out over the past week in the same area as Jeff with diminishing returns...30 on Monday with a limit; 12 on Thursday with 0 keepers and 6 yesterday with one keeper (caught on a #15 Tony in chart/gold deep)

We've caught a lot of fish shallow (20 bars, no weight) but most have been dinks.

I figure we'll be trying a different spot next time out and was wondering how much water we needed to use your setup.

Ed
Old 06-03-2013, 04:50 AM

Here is what I have been running on the Lucky Strike with umbrellas and 6" Storm/Tsunami baits:

Rods 1 & 2: no weight, 28-30 bars off the roof
Rods 3 & 4: 3-4oz in-line, 20-25 bars off the corners
Rods 5 & 6: 6-8oz in-line, 15-18 bars off the next forward rod holders
Rods 7 & 8: 12-16 oz in-line, 10-12bars off the next forward rod holders
Rods 9 & 10: 20-24oz in-line, 4-6 bars off the rod holders that stick straight out the side, low to the water.

No one specific rod seems to be producing anymore that the other.

Been in fishing 35-60' of water. 10:1 ratio of keepers to throw backs.
We did have a bluefish bite a Storm in half Saturday. We will switch to livelining exclusively next week.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
Hey Marty...what is the swallowest water you'll run this set in.

I figure we'll be trying a different spot next time out and was wondering how much water we needed to use your setup.

Ed
Ed; We have been catching fish in 35-60 ft (similar to Tawn). However, when the blues get in here, we run this same spread in water as shallow as 17 ft near Sharps Island Light Now keep in mind, I may crank up the two deepest rods a bar or two so they dont hit bottom. Also remember that you cant make any sharp turns and drop the other rigs on the bottom
I would say that my spread works best in 20 ft or more water.

On my personal boat, nothing frustrates me more than seeing the fish on downscan/sidescan and knowing they are there, but not getting hit. If I'm in deeper water (50+ ft) and marking lots of bait and fish, but not getting hit; I have no problem checking out shallow water (25+ ft) to see if fish are more cooperative.
If I lose all my bait and fish shallow, I go back to deep water. If chummers are catching in 25-30 ft; the fish must be there

As I said in a previous post; the silversides are all over the mid bay area. Long streams of bait on the screen and the fish are spitting up half digested silversides. Small spoons of any sort should work. I don't know if the silversides have made it up north of the bridge.

Glad to here Tawn got bit off by a blue. They love those silversides. This give us two species to catch (rock and blues). It also means the birds will be more active

I know livelinning is really coming into it's own as well. Looks like the summer pattern is setting up nicely.

If we can keep water quality to acceptable levels, it should be good fishing.

5th (Marty)