Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-07-2013, 01:05 PM

Default I'd fish more Sundays if all like this one

I work most weekends - this allows me to fish during the week. It's great for fishing since weekdays are not often crowded but does make it tough finding fishing buddies.

Since I had off today - figured , what the heck - go out early and catch some fish. CJ , his dad Cliff and their friend Josh said they could all go.

My only request - we leave at 5:00 to get to Sandy Point around 5:30 to beat the crowd. Talk about good fishermen - they show up early with bloodworms , ice and donuts. I will admit - love the drive on Sunday morning , next to no one on I-97 or Rt. 50. During the week - it's crazy with kamikaze commuters weaving in /out of traffic.

We got off Rt.50 and came across bridge to Sandy Point and saw a sign " Park Closed " - WTF ????? Continued to gate - park was open , guess the sign was from Saturday. Quickly launched and headed out to find Spot. Ran south of bridge but not too far and slowed. Crew got bottom rods ready and cut the bloodworms up.

Found decent marks in 15 feet and dropped anchor. Incoming current and south breeze made it easy and soon Spot were coming aboard. The tiny ones went back in - the 4-6 inchers went into live well. Three lucky ones slid over but luckily they were biting well enough those did not hurt us. Bad part - all three slid away from me.

We counted each Spot - wanted 40 total as 10 per angler is about right. We got to that number and pulled anchor and ran north. Had info on decent bite from yesterday - hoped fish were still there. Watching meter as we ran up the 35 foot line - saw nice fish before we got to Baltimore light. Slowed to take better look and then decided to anchor and try them.

We set up just as current started out - going to be against the wind . This can spell disaster but not much we could do. The boat sat cross current on a slight angle - not bad , yet. Knew as current increased boat would try to go over her anchor rode.

CJ brought his live lining outfit and was rigging it while I showed Cliff how to put the Spot over. Josh was getting another rod baited when first rod got hit - sweet. Cliff reeled in a nice 22 to start the day. CJ netted it and attempted to finish rigging his rod. Josh interrupted that with " Get the net ". CJ netted number two - about same size. Cliff and Josh set baits back over and got hit again but being new to live lining - set hook a kiss early.

CJ almost had his rod rigged when I hooked up. He netted it and finally got a bait over. He hooked a solid fish and we all saw it on surface as hooked pulled free - just out of net range.

No one said anything for about 3 seconds - then the teasing began. Got to love the compassion shown to a fishermen who loses a nice one.

Not sure who landed what but soon seven nice 22 to 26 inches were in cooler. While I double checked the count and buried fish in ice - number eight was landed for our 4 man limit.

Here's the best part - it was just 8:30. We got boat cleaned up and saw a big cruising yacht go plowing right through about 15 anchored boats to our north. Got to love weekends - we decided to count our blessings and head in before it got too hot and crowded. Once back at Sandy Point - parking lot was only about 1/2 full , surprised all of us.

Got boat home and took quick photo then CJ and Josh cleaned her while Cliff and I filleted the catch.

It all Sundays were that easy - might fish more weekends.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the report skip.
Was in that area between the light houses friday to chum a little after loading the cooler with croaker and perch for a fish fry.

Guess I timed it wrong cause after a half hour the current slowed and the wind swung my boat around making it impossible to chum. Didnt notice right away that my my chum bag went under the back of the boat and got hung up on the out drive. tried for awhile to get it loose and then knew i was gonna have to go over board to get it loose.

The wind was really blowing then and we had some good 3-4' waves. I have a full length swim platform I would have to get under so I decided I better wait till the current turned back with the wind and be a little calmer to get in there. It was a long wait and the winds just seemed to get stronger and wasnt really able to fish other than a little jigging but put on my life jacket and got in and was able to get the chum bag untangled and then move to calmer waters to finish out the day. Had the guys on board let me know when bigger waves were coming and timed my attempts so not to get cracked in the head by the platform.

Last edited by CAGE RATTLER; 07-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM

Phil and I trolled the same area Saturday with the same results...we limited by 7:55 which was good since the bent-rod sonars brought 5 charterboats over and drove us off the area about a minute or so after the last keeper went in the box.