Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 PM

Default Spot fishinh

Hit the offshore waters yesterday afternoon / evening and was rewarded with one nice big eye at 245#. I was talking with Marty at marina before departing for the blue water the other day and told him I was going to do my best to try and catch some spot while down here, keep alive and bring them home to fill our bait pens. Getting them home alive is pretty easy. No different then my younger years growing up in the keys. We would dive for tropical fish then have to deliver them alive to Miami to the tropical fish dealers. Simple task, 55 gallon plastic barrels with aeration/ filter system line ones used in aquariums just 12 vdc vs. 120vac. As you make trip you simply take water temp. Readings and when temps began getting close to the upper tolerable range of the species you drop a frozen 2 ltr. Bottle in to reduce temps.

Now for the hard part:
Went out today, cast netted a bunch of 2"-5" spot in the shallows at low tide, great thought it was going to be a piece of cake. Tide came in waters in back bay turned to crap and out through the inlet we go to try and catch em with hook and line.
They were all but impossible to locate and catch and when you did get on them then dolphin would find them and after a few minutes decimate the entire school. Wound up with about 75-100 perfect live lining size to transport home. Not going offshore again until Monday and will spend Sunday cast netting them as long as tide is out. Get the
Pen ready Marty.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Nice big eye!! 245# is a lot of good eatin' right there.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 PM

Leave it a fisherman to get more excited over 2-5 inch Spot then a 245 lb Tuna
Old 07-19-2015, 04:19 PM

You could get $2.00 a piece for those spot fish around here!
Old 07-19-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Leave it a fisherman to get more excited over 2-5 inch Spot then a 245 lb Tuna
Skip,
2 1/2 hour drive to beach, anther2 1/2 hour ride to Washington canyon for tuna,Spot to bring home and fish in backyard........... Priceless!!! Got another 75 same size today, I wonder how well they will survive in submerged bank vault once I get em home!