Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM

Default Quest for CBAnglers

While I was at the MSSA Kent Island flea market I picked up a copy of "The Coastal Fisherman" winter edition. There are three photo's (in the first 16 pages) of stripers being caught at "The Sliver" in Ocean City.

I did a google search looking for a chart showing it's location, but I was unsuccessful.

So; how about helping me out. Is it an inshore location out of OC inlet? Is it a location "behind" OC or Assateague?

How about a map or coordinates?
5th (Marty)
Old 01-27-2013, 02:44 PM

This looks to be a good source for some locations, but unfortunately no mention of the one you're looking for.

This has the gps coordinates.

http://www.akemarine.com/ocean-city-md-hot_spots.php
Old 01-27-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
While I was at the MSSA Kent Island flea market I picked up a copy of "The Coastal Fisherman" winter edition. There are three photo's (in the first 16 pages) of stripers being caught at "The Sliver" in Ocean City.

I did a google search looking for a chart showing it's location, but I was unsuccessful.

So; how about helping me out. Is it an inshore location out of OC inlet? Is it a location "behind" OC or Assateague?

How about a map or coordinates?
5th (Marty)
It's out from Fenwick Island. IIRC most of the Sliver is over the line in the EEZ.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
It's out from Fenwick Island. IIRC most of the Sliver is over the line in the EEZ.
Thanks Reds; maybe that's why I didn't see it. I was looking at charts "inside" the 3 mile line. There must be 10 references to "the sliver" in the winter edition. I assumed it was closer to shore.

I'll go back and look out from Fenwick Island on the map and see if I can find it. It must be a good spot, lots of rock caught near it.

This past Jan. was the first time I have ever fished "offshore" OC for rock. We were really fishing blind because we didn't know the area very well. We ran from the Delaware line to the Virginia line just looking for birds and bait. We didn't catch and rock, but the show the whales put on were worth the price of admission.

Maybe we can try in the spring as the stripers leave the bay and head north.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM

Damn, I just went back and looked at the maps. I can find Fenwick Island, Fenwick schoals, but no "sliver". I still need more info, this has me pissed, how can so many reports reference a place "I" can't find. This shouldn't be that hard.

I'm about ready to send an email off to the Coastal Fisherman.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM

Marty - Don't sweat not being able to find the " Sliver ". Often spots are known by nicknames. Study the chart and look for humps / bumps / troughs , etc. that could hold bait or fish. Ocean Rockfish move fast - unless report is a few hours - likely no good.

Think about some one new to the bay trying to find the " Silver Ball " just south of Breezy Point. Years ago - the water tower was silver and when in about 35 feet , it looked like a silver ball sitting on tree tops. That is how it got nick name.

Now it is light blue - yet locals still call it " Silver Ball ". Newcomer would have no idea what / where to look. Guess calling it blue ball might not go over so well

Same thing up near # 86 is Gum Thickets. Years ago - there was a gum tree patch ( thicket) but they are long gone - yet name stays.

I still catch Rock in spring at the " mile markers " - near Mattapeake , even though the markers are long gone , my friends know exactly where I'm talking about.

Then you have a name given to a large area - ie: Radar towers. The real spot is close in and a kiss north where deep water comes in tight to shore. How ever - if guys can see the radar screens , they'll tell you the fish were caught at radar towers.

I have it even worse - some older guys ( 70-80 yrs ) will describe places to me. I'll get - it's due south of the old Johnson barn. OK - I find out the barn burned down in 1975 and never was rebuilt - bear in mind I was born 1963.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Marty - Don't sweat not being able to find the " Sliver ". Often spots are known by nicknames. Study the chart and look for humps / bumps / troughs , etc. that could hold bait or fish..
Skip, that's just why I wanted to look at the chart. Obviously there is something holding the fish in that area. From all the other reports, I can eliminate areas where the Sliver in not!! It's not by the jetty, it's not out from the Pyrimid Condo, it's not near Little Gull; but where is it? It is known locally because it is referenced so often in the reports.

I think I'll call Sue Foster down the ocean and try to get the coodinates. I'm very interested to see what the humps, lumps, and sloughs look like in that area

I may not ever fish the OC coast again but the information may prove of value

5th(Marty)

Watching "wicked tuna" now. It's a new season!

Last edited by 5th Tuition; 01-27-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 AM

Let me make a phone call, one of my clients fishes fenwick year round.. He'll know
Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 AM

Good Lord Brian; what are you doing up at 4:37am? I guess that's really 3:37am. I hope you just finished acting like your electrical outlets

Thanks Brian, make the call; I'll be interested to see what a local has to say.

5th (Marty)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Quick update; I went past ALLTACKLE today and checked out some of the maps and fishing charts they sell. It's not on any of their maps/charts either.

I can't believe the Coastal Fisherman would reference "the sliver" so often in their publication; yet anyone outside of the OC area would have no idea where the spot is found.

Still Looking.

5th (Marty)