Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Fishing/Blue Angels

I'll save you some time; no fish. We hit Eastern Bay this morning. I downsized my tackle to 6 inch/3 inch storm shads in tandems. Ran 6 rods, 4 deep (25-30 ft) and two light (10-15 ft). We found tons of bait and would watch the rods "quiver" as we ran through it. We even snaged some large alwives with the rigs. Couldn't pull a fish out of it to save our soul. Trolled from 7:30-12:30 among 5 charters and didn't see a fish come over the sides from anyone.
At 12:30 we ran back toward SP and saw the Blue Angles practicing over the Severn River. We ran in and anchored up among all the boats and watched a wonderful performance by the Navy. It gave me goosebumbs to know that we have such fine men and women in our services. To watch the 4 jets in formation doing presicion flying was neat. They also had 2 jets flying sperately from the others doing their thing. To see, and hear, them scream past you as they headed down the Severn at low altitude was thrilling.
Even though we caught no fish, it was a good day on the water and the first time to witness the Blue Angles.
Headed to Stone Rock to look for drum in the morning (another first for me). Should I use one of my trolling outfits for drum? Is a spinning rod way to light?
5th (Marty)
Old 05-25-2010, 05:05 PM

The Blue Angels show is amazing to see on the water. I missed the practice run and doubt I'll get to the actual Grad show either. I'm really bummed having not missed a show in years. At least I was able to see them at the Andrews show last week.

The Drum answer is how long do you plan on fighting it

The Drum you are looking for will be in the 60-80lb range. Moral of the story is don't get ovematched. Trolling set ups with low gear reels would be perfect. I do have a heavy 6' spinning rod set up with a Shimano 6000 Spheros that would do the trick also.
Unless you plan on fighting the fish for HOURS go heavy. A guy posted on TF that he fought a large Drum on 16lb test for over 3 hrs... NOT in the cards for me!

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM

Paul; looks like it's not in the cards for me either. My buddy just changed plans, and we are trolling for rock instead. Drum will have to wait for a while.

5th (Marty)
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM

Marty....I had an almost carbon copy of your day.....
Old 05-30-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Marty....I had an almost carbon copy of your day.....
Except that we caught every perch in the Bodkin.....