Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Default Type of Line

I have been fishing 40 lb. Trilene big game for years and have been thinking about changing to a hi-vis yellow. Does anyone else use this color and what brand do you use (Ande. or Superior)? is there any advantages or disadvantages that anyone has noticed? Thanks for any info guys.

Dan
Old 01-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Half my board lines (lightest ones) have high vis green on them. Much easier to see than regular mono.
If you live anywhere near Clydes Bait store in Lansdown, they will have a sale on all their mono in March; half price; and they will spool it on for you while you wait.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 AM

I have hi viz yellow on some reels. Ande sells monster yellow mono. It is rated at 30lbs but tests out much higher.

You might want to try braid. It offers less stretch then mono and helps with hook sets. Lasts for 4-5 seasons , maybe more.

You can get 80lb. braid that has diameter of 30 mono. I like 65 lb. - it is cheaper then the 80 lb. Some like Suffix offer a yellow color. I put 300 feet of braid on top of mono backing. Costs roughly $10.00 per reel this way.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 AM

I use 40# yellow high viz offshore angler mono from bass pro. Its great to be able to see where you lines are. Being able to see the line is especially helpful in judging the angle of the line from the planer line back to the water. This will give you an idea of how deep/shallow each lure is running.

I have had problems in the past running some rods with braid and some with mono in the same spread. When you make a turn the braid and mono will react differently since the braid has so much less water resistance (thinner). I get a lot of tangles, and tangles with braid are no fun. I would go all mono or all braid.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Thanks Guys!
I think I might give it a try on my board rods.