Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Default Kids & Fishing

How old were your kids when you started taking them fishing? My son turned 2 in June, and I took him as often as I could last year. We would put around the creeks in the Middle River system catching white perch, yellow perch, and catfish. He loved it. I want to take him on some longer trips this summer, but my wife keeps reminding me that he will only be turning 3 in June 2011. I'm not planning an all day run offshore with him, but maybe a 3 or 4 hour trolling trip if its nice out.

How old were your kids when you got them involved in fishing, and how did you do it?

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend-Lure View Post
How old were your kids when you started taking them fishing? My son turned 2 in June, and I took him as often as I could last year. We would put around the creeks in the Middle River system catching white perch, yellow perch, and catfish. He loved it. I want to take him on some longer trips this summer, but my wife keeps reminding me that he will only be turning 3 in June 2011. I'm not planning an all day run offshore with him, but maybe a 3 or 4 hour trolling trip if its nice out.

How old were your kids when you got them involved in fishing, and how did you do it?
I've been taking my kids since they were old enough to stand up on the boat underway. Took my daughter on an all day trolling trip when she was 2, and they went offshore first time when they were 3 and 5 (son/daughter). As long as I had a few things for them to eat or play with when they lost interest for short periods they were fine.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 AM

I was on a boat from 6 months on. My dad's boat had a small cabin - they secured my cradle so I was safe.

My kids were about 1 when they were first on the boat - short trips.

The time spent together is the biggest thing - far too many parents use TV as a babysitter. Being outside on a boat is great.

With kids - be prepared to cut a trip short , if need be. Do not force them to go. My son is now 14 - now / then he bails out on a trip , other times he asks to go.

Make the trip fun - a stop on the way home for ice cream always is a hit.
Starting a little later then normal helps too - no rush to get out in the dark.

If your boat has a cabin - longer trips should not be any trouble.

One tip: My kids knew their life jacket went on as they got out of the truck.
First thing they do is to run down the pier.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:54 AM

My son is 4 now but was on the boat at 1 year old. Ditto what skip said when my son jake gets out of the truck lifejacket goes on and he knows the routine. He feeds the fish pretzels everytime we go and the funny thing is it helps me catch fish.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM

My Son has been fishing and crabbing with me since he was 2. At first we fished a pond near a playground. He started boat fishing with me when he was 4. Bottom fishing with a lot of action is the way to go. Trolling at a young age might be difficult. You know how boring it can be to us. Have some toys or activities for them to fight boredom. As Skip said, most kids don't like getting up before the sun comes up. Good luck.They make great fishing and hunting partners and it only gets better with age............until puberty kicks in........Gary
Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM

Trolling is a lot safer though with kids. No hooks flying around during the cast, no rods being thrown over board. We can check out the boats while driving around. I'll catch some flack for this, but I think casting and jigging is boring. I'd rather set the lines, and then be able to take in my surroundings, look at all the boats, look for birds, have a soda, fiddle with the stereo, have some chips etc.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-13-2011, 11:38 AM

here it is, good dad or bad -

after 1st 6 mos, my wife was working part time and i had a partial work-at-home arrangement. so, I started taking my daughter fishing at least as early as age 2. more or less as soon as i could get her into a life jacket. there was a bit of working on 'her schedule' (being fed, diapers, etc) as i remember before heading out. and a lot of extra gear to bring too.

i used to take her little dvd player along and a copy of cinderella movie. when i got a fish near the boat, i'd yell 'we got one, we got one', and she'd come out from under the canvas (draped over dash and seat), try reeling a little bit, then i'd net it for her.

once when she was a little older, we were out and she told me she had to use the bathroom. i had stopped bringing potti after many non-uses; so i looked around a little then pulled up the board covering the bilge and said that would be good. i remember her disappointed little face when she looked at the black mildew, rusty tools, spare prop all down there sloshing around. she politely refused and i was at least decent enough to bring her back to dock.

now, she has serious lightning mousetrap hooking action and is very proud of her fish-catching ability. she asks questions about big fish and 'trophy' season, trying to figure it all out and is looking forward to earning a catch and release patch for her book bag. just hope the fish and dnr cooperate on this one.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM

Cool thread. My kids have been on the boat since they were born. My daughters are prone to getting sick but my son has fished with me since he was very young. Many days he didnt fish himself but just wanted to be on board. Main thing is to make sure they are comfortable for the weather conditions. Keep them warm when it is cold and dont have them out in the hot summer heat with a life jacket on in the middle of summer.

my son's favorite fishing is live lining as I think he loves to fill the livewell with spot and then reel in rockfish caught on the spot he caught. However he just loves fishing. He is quite good at verticle jigging stingsilvers off the bottom. Trolling is also a blast for him when we are catching. He has landed his personal best this way and always talks breaking his best. Last fall he learned more about setting lines with a planerboard spread so he cannot wait for spring. (Thanks for your patience and time Don ) Chumming is his least favorite fishing, unless the action is hot of course.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 01-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

By Bend Lure: "I'll catch some flack for this, but I think casting and jigging is boring. "

WOW, talk about perspective
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleBiology View Post
By Bend Lure: "I'll catch some flack for this, but I think casting and jigging is boring. "

WOW, talk about perspective
BendLure; I know what you mean. Every time I go with a jigger, they have 4 or 5 different rods with different weight jigs or different baits (some soft, some metal). Can't they make up their mind (or what).
Jeesh, 5th (Marty)