Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM

I haven't pulled the trigger on buying a kayak yet, but I'm interested when I finally get one.

I have access to beaches to launch from on the Little Magothy River (A small river at the mouth of the Magothy on the south side.)

Some Stripers in there...all small ones usually. But there's also Pickerel, White Perch and Catfish.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
I haven't pulled the trigger on buying a kayak yet, but I'm interested when I finally get one.
I have access to beaches to launch from on the Little Magothy River (A small river at the mouth of the Magothy on the south side.)
Some Stripers in there...all small ones usually. But there's also Pickerel, White Perch and Catfish.
Scott; The new Dick's Sporting Store on Ritchie Hwy has some nice deals on sit-in kayaks now. Their sit-on kayaks will be on sale in the spring. In fact, they don't even have a full stock of sit-ons in the store as of yet.

The wife and I bought the "future beach" yaks two years ago. I have the sit-in angler edition and she has the sit-on-top regular edition. They have whats called a dihedral hull that makes them very stable. I may buy another sit-on-top version because it is lightweight and paddles very easily. Plus, we like hanging our feet over the sides in the summer.
5th (Marty)
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM

I have a large 3 man sit on Yak! I would love to go on a trip!

I have not fished on it yet.
VHF: Channel 73
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykesville View Post
I have a large 3 man sit on Yak! I would love to go on a trip!

I have not fished on it yet.
Jeff; you are a big man, but a 3 man yak; I'll add you to the list.
Jeff, can you PM me some contact info. (phone, email, or such).
5th (Marty)
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Scott; The new Dick's Sporting Store on Ritchie Hwy has some nice deals on sit-in kayaks now. Their sit-on kayaks will be on sale in the spring. In fact, they don't even have a full stock of sit-ons in the store as of yet.

The wife and I bought the "future beach" yaks two years ago. I have the sit-in angler edition and she has the sit-on-top regular edition. They have whats called a dihedral hull that makes them very stable. I may buy another sit-on-top version because it is lightweight and paddles very easily. Plus, we like hanging our feet over the sides in the summer.
5th (Marty)
I was in Dick's again today. I think I'll spring for that Trophy 144 model they have after the first of the month when I get paid again.

I did manage to get out of there today with only minimal damage to my wallet.....spent $40 on a micro reel for one of my ultralights that had seen better days.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Scott; think about how you are going to transport a 14 ft yak. I have a 6.5 ft bed on my truck and with the tailgate up, I put two 10.5 ft yaks in it and strap them down. A 14 ft would hang over too far.
If you have an 8 ft bed and drop the tailgate (10 ft), you will be ok.
marty
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Scott; think about how you are going to transport a 14 ft yak. I have a 6.5 ft bed on my truck and with the tailgate up, I put two 10.5 ft yaks in it and strap them down. A 14 ft would hang over too far.
If you have an 8 ft bed and drop the tailgate (10 ft), you will be ok.
marty
Good call Marty! Most probably wouldn't think about that.

It'll go on top of my Mercury Mountaineer (Basically a Ford Explorer.)

Or in the instances when I'm going down to the Pocomoke River it'll ride strapped to my bass boat.

By the way, the Pocomoke is an EXCELLENT river for kayaking and fishing, so what would be better than kayak fishing on the Pocomoke?

From Shad Landing at P-River State Park you can yak' through Corker's Creek which is kind of like going through a backwater swamp it's so calm. I can get my bass boat through there with no problem though...just a little tricky navigation to avoid trees.

White Perch, Yellow Perch, Largemouth, Crappie, Catfish and Pickerel are all pretty abundant there.