Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Angry The really long way around...

Yesterday was the day for the first OC flounder trip, designed more to shake out the pontoon boat for the family weeklong later in July...

Accompanied by my trusted friend Phil (aka: philk999; aka: Nips") and his cousin Gil from Missouri, we left Essex at 5:05.

Made great progress and got to see how bad and widespread the damage from Friday's storms is...convoys of tree removal and utility trucks; streets blocked off; signals out...Angler's was open...on the parking lot with an employee going inside with a flashlight to get stuff.

Decided, since the boat is kept in Roxana DE and low tide was 11am at the Rt 50 bridge, we'd blow into town, have breakfast at the Angler Restaurant and then go down and get the boat...worked fine except the GPS wanted me to go back out Rt 50 and up 113 and I wanted to head out Ocean Hwy since Gil hadn't been in OC for over 10 yeras...the GPS and I had quite an argument with her telling me to make a left at every numbered street...

Got to the boat...first off needed a new tongue jack...find a store, get new jack, install (did I mention we're standing in the field, it's like a thousand degrees and there is no wind movement at all?).

Trailer lights hooked up...not functioning...no problem, Phil AND Gil are both electricians (do I hang out with the right crowd or what?)...oops, ain't got a meter between us...clean all connections, no luck (did I mention it's like a thousand degrees and there is no wind movement at all?).

Attach trailer to back of van...odd...insufficient clearance to raise tongue jack...rear of van way too low...crap, blown shock...OK. boat staying, what are we doing?

Maybe time to make it back to take the Bay Bee for the afternoon? Sunday afternoon traffic, weekend before 4th of July, half the people in the state w/o A/C...not a chance.

We are all drenched in sweat...get in van, put a/c on emergency high, drink half the drinks in the cooler...

Decide to head back...got back around 4, pick up the meter's for Phil's boat, head to his marina...on the Bay at 515pm...trip now 12 hours old and we are finally on the water...headed to spot near Tolchester where Phil found some decent fish Friday morning...several boats there...lots of marks. With a 2oz stingsilver and 10# braid, I can't feel the bottom because wind/tide in same direction...jig for maybe 45 minutes...one 4" rock and a 5" WP...give up, head for deeper water, put out a 4 rod trolling spread...

Finally around 7PM good hit on a spoon...20" but fat; few minutes later, another spoon rod starts dancing...really nice, fat 24"...we take two more before heading in, though one had sores and was tossed back...all taken on green lures trolled near the bottom in 25-30' of water and all taken WITH the tidal flow.

Get back, clean boat, drive home...10:15PM...been gone 17 hours, drove 375 miles to end up fishing on a boat that was 4 miles away; took 14 hours to catch the first keeper.

Phil and Gil were great about it and we caught fish finally...but, it's not something I'd want to do again or recommend.

Find out shocks are $400 each; gotta have trailer lights replaced too and still have no idea if my boat will even float.

What an exciting vacation this is going to be...
Old 07-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Holy Crap Ed; what a trip.

You better get those extra spoons and teasers I have for you. Looks like they are catching. I will be gone from the 5th-12th bringing a boat back from Martha's Vinyard.
5th (Marty)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM

And I thought my truck got bad fish per miles

One heck of a trip but congrats on pulling out a few keepers.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM

As I keep saying it was not a wasted day, we made one repair to the trailer, we caught keeper fish, not the original targeted species, or the body of water we wanted to fish, but we caught fish damn it!

My next adventure came this morning as I am heading down 95 turning onto the ramp for O'Donnell Street, I am heading down a ramp doing well over the speed limit as crotch rocket motor cycle blows by me on the shoulder. My cousin says you must not be going fast enough for him. My reply was I'm doing 60 the speed limit is 25 on the ramp, he is nuts and we might find him wrecked at the bottom of the ramp. The motor cycle disappears around the turn.

The next thing is see is the motor cycle riding the jersey wall with no driver. It took several minutes to register the driver was gone. Pulled over down the ramp. called 911 and then got out to try and find him for the police and ambulance crews. After looking from the road into the woods for him, and could not, I walked further around the ramp and found he got ejected off the bike to make a 20-30 foot drop on to O'Donnell Street below me right in front of a car.

Amazingly the cops were there and this guy was alive and reaching in his pocket for something. I hollared down to the cop where is motorcycle was and asked if they wanted to talk to us. The cops said no, so we stood the bike up and moved it to the side of the ramp

Yiou thought you had a bad day yesterday, this guys tsarted off much worse today. Interesting vacation so far.

At Marty, green bucktails and 4" shads also caught in addition to the green spoons.

Last edited by PhilK999; 07-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:34 PM

I admire your dedication Ed.

I've been on weeklong camping/fishing trips where it seems like Murphy's Law was always in effect. "If anything can go wrong, it WILL."

We still manage to overcome and have fun. And catch fish.

And drink a fair amount of beer.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
I admire your dedication Ed.

I've been on weeklong camping/fishing trips where it seems like Murphy's Law was always in effect. "If anything can go wrong, it WILL."

We still manage to overcome and have fun. And catch fish.

And drink a fair amount of beer.
Unfortunately, considering how far I was planning on driving anyway, I felt obligated to leave the beer home...BUT, I did crack open a couple after I did get back.