Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 AM

Default dodge 2500 cummins

I am going to look at a 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 crew cab with the 5.9 cummins and 3.73 rear. I currently drive a 2006 1500 silverado with the 5.3l gas but I am wanting a little more truck with the boat I own considering the distances I tow (NJ to VA). I need to tow around 7000lbs total and really would like to get into a 3/4 ton. The power of the gas 5.3 is fine for me considering the area I tow is relatively flat but the brakes and suspension are on the light side for what I do. ( I actually like my 5.3 better than my fathers 6.0 chevy gas)

The truck i am looking at is fully stock, has less than 70k on it, has had only one owner, dealer serviced, and said to be in great shape. It has the 4 speed auto and 3.73 rear. truck will be my daily driver too. I drive ~25k a year total.

Few questions:
  1. Any concerns with the truck to be aware of?
  2. What mileage towing and not towing?
  3. Any expensive service items I need to be aware of?
  4. I plan on keeping the truck fully stock..

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM

Greg,

This is my personal experience, so take it for what it's worth. Comparatively speaking, the transmission of Dodges has tended to not hold up well compared to other brands. Again, this is just the people I know (through my work with ag people and me and my Dad's experiences in construction). Otherwise, I've not heard of major problems with the engines from that year.

I guess the question is why not just upgrade the brakes and suspension in your truck if you like it otherwise? Seems like a cheaper option.

Cheers,

bob
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM

According to my mechanic, its a beast of a truck but its a Dodge. Great motor but you will have transmission issues somewhere near 100k. His position was to replace the tranny and move forward. You can expect somewhere near 300k on the truck if you are diligent with maintenance.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM

I have had two with no major issues at all, with the exception of the AC unit going out in both, just after the 36K warranty. Otherwise, Ran like a champ, averaged close to 18 mpg.

But i DID NOT tow anything of substance as my boat is too big to tow ;-)
So i can't comment on the transmission issue as I never really stressed my tranny.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:03 AM

I can tell you that we have a Dodge diesel here at work. I think it's a 2000. we towed a Bobcat to the rental place with it recently and the rear seal on the tranny did blow. Our bus mechanic was able to fix it in a day. The truck had about 145,000 miles on it and has been used and abused as it's the schools sole maintence truck that plows snow, carries whatever we need it to, and tows all of the rental equipment here on campus. (like chippers, tractors, bobcats, etc. . .)
Old 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM

If that truck doesn't look good to you, check out these guys:

http://www.warrentonselect.com/

They're a bit of a hike but they have a big inventory of diesel trucks (that's their specialty). I was going to get an Excursion from them but it slipped through my fingers while I was looking around.

Keith
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 AM

Greg, I am also looking to upgrade my truck. Chevy 1500 4X4 5.3L. I know what you mean about needing / wanting more truck. I Beefed up the brakes in the truck and added disk brakes to every axel on the triple axel trailer. I also added add a leaf to the rear to increase the ride height and level out the trailer to spread the weight evenly across all the axels. In addition I increase the trailer hitch to a big ass ultra hitch. I have no problems pulling the CC roughly 10,000lbs I have to be extremely aware and take my time when towing. The extra breaks and add on’s help a lot. I have no problems on flat ground Sandy point, Chesapeake beach and Solomon’s island. Last year went to Breezy Point and the hills leading to the area were hard on the little 5.3 and transmission. I want to take the boat to ocean city this year 2010 but I doubt I will attempt without a bigger truck. Glad my fishing buddies have diesel trucks.

I had the transmission serviced recently the shop said everything looked great and the fluid was in good shape 120,000. The 1500 does the job but I would like a bigger truck in a year or so. I feel your pain. Looking at Chevy 2500 HD gas

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 12-11-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM

Greg...HIGHLY recommend you buy a NEW Cummins!! Steve
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM

Steve, if you place an order today for a new 42 Judge with twin cummins in it, I will look at a brand new one
Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM

The cummins powered truck I was looking at sold (or they have a deposit on it).. You know the saying. You snooze you lose. Sounds like I lost the deal.. 03 one owner, dealer serviced ~65k miles asking 18k