Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2015, 08:42 AM

Default Drifting eels???

A buddy have me about 2 dz eels, ranging from 12-24 inches... Any ideas were to use them, north of the BB?? I don't usually liveline eels, so an suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Joe
"Celtic Charm"
Old 06-13-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Walsh View Post
A buddy have me about 2 dz eels, ranging from 12-24 inches... Any ideas were to use them, north of the BB?? I don't usually liveline eels, so an suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Joe
"Celtic Charm"
Joe,
Bay Bridge pilings, sharp drop offs around oyster bars, east side of Pooles Island drifting over humps are good places to try. 24"eel is a big eel. we usually use ones around 12". I use medium spinning tackle with 20# braid and a 50 or 60# test leader about 30"long. Use a small coast lock swivel on the main line and on the end of the leader. This will allow you to add in line weights 1 oz, 2 oz if current is strong.
Some guys slow troll by bumping in and out of gear over certain areas and they use an 8 foot leader from the eel to a three way swivel and 6 or 8 oz weight on a 2 foot dropper off of the 3 way.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 06-13-2015, 08:34 PM

I end up giving eels to someone who could use them as crab bait.. Even though I was striking out at crabbing, I found time to drift a couple across a few of my "honey holes", I got squat.. 14 traps, only one showed signs of a little nibbling... Eels on KB pilings, and other "go to places", ended up with one bruised eel... I guess fish wasn't big enough to eat an 18 inch eel. Wtf am I doing wrong??? Please help... My girl thinks it's my fault... ��.. Good thing Patrone' still likes me...

Joe
"Celtic Charm"
Old 06-14-2015, 10:31 AM

Joe,

From what I have heard from folks the bite north of the bridge has not been the best over the last few days...

I do know that a friend of mine caught his limit of keepers while chunking at Love Point yesterday, so maybe the fish are getting active again.

Mike