Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-31-2016, 05:47 PM

Default "I got a screamer"

Well, today was my last day in Deale I rented a slip for two months (April and May) so I had to be out by today (June 1st).
I saw the slip holder yesterday and told him I was pulling the boat today. I said I hoped to be able to return next year if a slip was available. He said I was no problem, and would welcome me back next year.

So Bruce was kind enough to go with me today to untie lines and bumpers from pilings; and do a morning trip. Trailer was parked at Tri State ramp waiting for our return

C.J. (C-Monster) had told me of a great bite south of Breezy (read his post). Bruce and I headed south from Deale looking for bird activity or bait on the surface. It was flat calm, and with binoculars, you could see surface activity from a long way. However, we didn't see squat.

I kept running south, looking for C.J.'s fish Before we got to his secret spot, Bruce noticed a weed line with a few bait fish flipping. I spotted two birds sitting, and we decided to check it out.

As I slid over the area, the FF lit up!! We were in 54 ft of water and we were blanked out at 25 ft with bait and rockfish We threw a couple 6 in. BKD's over, and we were instantly "hooked up".

These were nice fish (25-27 inches), and we threw two fat "unders" in the ice chest. After catching a few fish, all of a sudden, the water erupted around us. We had rockfish slashing through the bait fish and rolling on top. Bait was leaping out of the water trying to escape.

Bruce and I each had topwater baits tied to another rod, and we reached for them together. I threw my bait into the destruction and was instantly rewarded with a fish taking drag. As you fought a fish to the boat, you could see other fish following I yelled, Look at this! But Bruce was hooked up with drag singing. Bruce yelled, I got a screamer and we both boated "overs" around 30-31 inches.

With the cooler full (our limit), we continued to C/R fish just under or just over 30 inches. We worked the top waters and the BKD's for a good 30-45 minutes with no other boat crowding us. The only other boats near us appeared to be looking for black drum

The water was so clear, you could see bait fish, rockfish, and bits of bait fish looking like "chum" in the water. I bet you could see 8-10 ft down easily. At one point, I said to Bruce, Look at my side scan; we have bait off the port side. He said, I don't need to look at the FF, I can see the bait from here

We caught so many 30 inch fish, that Bruce was fighting one and said, I may have to hand this rod off to you, my "tennis elbow" is bothering me
Needless to say, he stuck it out and landed that fish

When our school decided to sound, we started looking for bait busting the surface nearby. There were endless possibilities to check out. At one time, Bruce said, just listen to the bait; it sounds like you are down the ocean with waves breaking on the beach

We could pull a few fish out of most every bait ball, and we worked our way back to Deale hopscotching from one bait ball to another.

We loaded the boat around 1-1:30 and stopped in South County Cafe for some Blueberry Pie to bring home to the wives. We beat the traffic on 97 and I was home in time to wash the boat and put it in the yard for a good cleaning before splashing her in my "summer" slip on the Bodkin.

Sometimes it's good to be LUCKY We could have easily ran over those fish; or not been there when the carnage began. I think it was a gift from the Deale fishermen I've become friends with over the years There way of saying, "Goodbye, get the he11 out of my fishing area, and don't come back soon"

Thanks Bruce for a day to remember for quite some time
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2096.jpg (91.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2097.jpg (86.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 PM

Carnage, it was total carnage. I have never seen so many 30" class fish slashing bait fish in the bay and be able to see them 6 feet down. Every fish we brought in had 4 or 5 more following it. The water looked like someone had just poured a 5 gallon bucket of chum overboard. it was definitely not a good day to be a bait fish My elbow will survive to fight more fish
Many thanks to Captain Marty for another great day on the bay.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:20 PM

Drag ? Heard of that

Love hearing about the great visibility - aching to get diving.

Congrats on great trip.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:12 PM

Not a bad way to close out the "southern season" Marty. Sure hope we can have similar results on Friday (but maybe with a 42" straggler thrown in the mix to win the tournement )

Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM

You know it's a good day when your tennis elbow flares up Bruce. And Marty I do like you but I agree with the Deal fleet. It's time for the Northern boys to get on up Otta here! Fishing is absolutely on fire right now. We truly are being blessed!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 PM

Happens every year the fish turn on and everyone's air conditioning breaks and I'm too damn busy to do anything.
Best report I can give is everyday since last Wednesday has been a minimum of 12-13 hour days seven days a week. With that said get out there it's like fishing in a barrel, you can drop anything over and they will hit it! So easy even Mako Mike could get a limit. I'll let you know when work slows down so you guys that are getting them can schedule your maintenance because they'll be gone then! Keep up the good work and reports guys, kills me to read them sitting in traffic between jobs!