Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Marty.. What do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/MarylandDNR...83525515032847

I guess DNR has no fear of "fall back" on released pre-spawn fish...
Old 04-16-2018, 03:11 PM

What are you trying to do Greg, get me kicked off yet another fishing website Got kicked off Technical Fisherman when it was active, and I have a self-imposed sabbatical from Tidal Fish over the circle hook regulations

Looks like the classic, "Do as I say, not as I do" situation to me. I believe it actually proves how durable these fish are in cooler waters. They are not the dainty sensitive fish we are lead to believe.

To have one out of the water long enough to measure, take a scale, hold improperly (at least that's what we've been told), and then release, takes a while.

DNR was issuing tickets to fishermen in the susquehanna last year for taking the fish OUT OF THE WATER for a photo. The newest "quote" making it's rounds is to only keep the fish out as long as YOU can hold your breath.

Finally, holding those fish up against your body is "supposed" to remove the slime barrier and we are to believe they will either get infected or die.

If I catch a cow during PSCR, I automatically get told that she is going to release her eggs and NOT spawn this year

Just like any Government agency, there are different rules for us vs. them.

Also:
Just this past Saturday, on the Allan Ellis Outdoorsman Show" there was a fisheries biologist speaking about the trophy season. He said, the trophy season in Maryland accounts for less than 2% (and more likely 1%) of the big cows taken throughout the year

5th
Old 04-16-2018, 04:41 PM

I thought you would get a kick out of it. Obviously no fear of "fall back" (where fish stressed on their way to spawning don't spawn that DNR claimed with no scientific evidence of it)

Yes, I knew that the trophy season only makes up a minute part of the mortality of the SSB. I always use 3% because one year when dnr numbers had us abnormally high in our harvest, we still were at 3%.. We are a pimple on the elephant
Old 04-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
What are you trying to do Greg, get me kicked off yet another fishing website Got kicked off Technical Fisherman when it was active, and I have a self-imposed sabbatical from Tidal Fish over the circle hook regulations

Looks like the classic, "Do as I say, not as I do" situation to me. I believe it actually proves how durable these fish are in cooler waters. They are not the dainty sensitive fish we are lead to believe.

To have one out of the water long enough to measure, take a scale, hold improperly (at least that's what we've been told), and then release, takes a while.

DNR was issuing tickets to fishermen in the susquehanna last year for taking the fish OUT OF THE WATER for a photo. The newest "quote" making it's rounds is to only keep the fish out as long as YOU can hold your breath.

Finally, holding those fish up against your body is "supposed" to remove the slime barrier and we are to believe they will either get infected or die.

If I catch a cow during PSCR, I automatically get told that she is going to release her eggs and NOT spawn this year

Just like any Government agency, there are different rules for us vs. them.

Also:
Just this past Saturday, on the Allan Ellis Outdoorsman Show" there was a fisheries biologist speaking about the trophy season. He said, the trophy season in Maryland accounts for less than 2% (and more likely 1%) of the big cows taken throughout the year

5th
I get a packet form DNR to send them a bid, on cost of boat and crew for that survey. (at least they put it out to bid). Bidders must have gill netted and possess the correct commercial licenses.

The largest amount of big cows are taken up in Massachusetts, always have been.

Handling those big fish in cold water is the best time for a survey and I have seen pre spawn fish drop their eggs when handled, but not all.

I have also seen hand prints on fish where the slime was removed from wearing gloves..

You have to remember the number of fishermen in the bay and the amount of damage that can be done by mishandling fish catch and release. (the number who know how to handle fish is small in comparison)

DNR does a lot of good but the back room dealings is unbelievable.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post

Handling those big fish in cold water is the best time for a survey and I have seen pre spawn fish drop their eggs when handled, but not all.

I have also seen hand prints on fish where the slime was removed from wearing gloves..

You have to remember the number of fishermen in the bay and the amount of damage that can be done by mishandling fish catch and release. (the number who know how to handle fish is small in comparison)

DNR does a lot of good but the back room dealings is unbelievable.
I don't think I've ever seen a fish damaged from mishandling other than driving by undersized floaters in July and August, but I don't have a fraction of fishing time that most here do and the people I fish with are good fishermen with good ethics.

Maybe DNR could allocate more resources to education? I honestly have no idea what their outreach and education programs are like. Just seems to me that if they're going to make and change rules constantly, they bear some responsibility for making the public aware.

Of course there are always people that just don't give a ****.......