Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-31-2018, 08:28 AM

Default May 2018

I keep forgetting to post reports here for a few of my friends. Sorry things have been nuts in my life with my son about to graduate HS, kids track season, a few bids at work (my real job), chartering, etc.

Anyhow. Like everyone else I struggled during the trophy season. I didnt run a lot of trips because I let me passengers know the deal and let them decide. We did get a few nice fish though.. With my limited trips, I think the best I did was 4 fish in one trip

The last day of trophy season was a hint of things to come. I trolled all big baits but we still boated 8 fish and lost two others. Downside was that 6 of the 8 were 28"-32". Unfortunately my schedule did not allow me to fish the first week. However I have fished 6 of the last 9 days with a nice steady bite on light tackle, both jigging and chunking. There havent been birds to follow but I have been able to locate fish on ledges from 25' down to 42' of water. While shorts have been mixed in we have had some nice fish over 30". For jigging I am mostly using 6"BKDs with 3/4 or 1oz jig heads. This has worked for fish on the bottom and suspended. On the chunk I am using 6/0 in line circle hooks even if I dont chum because I know the intent of the new regulations. I am using 2oz weights with nice swivels and putting everything on the bottom. Even when the current is running hard I can hold bottom because my 3000 series spinning combos most have 15lb braid line to the leader. My leader is 25lb mono leader. With the circle hooks we let the fish hook themselves or do a slow reel with the rod tip up to allow the flex of the rod to pull the hook to the corner of the mouth.

Here are a few jigged up fish:

Here are few chunked up limits too:

To start June I fish the Casey Cares Tournament tomorrow and plan to chunk bait and only troll if we get close to a limit quickly. I head for Islamarada this weekend with my son and dad and we have a graduation party next weekend so I likely wont fish the bay unless the wifey-poo grants me some kind of grace card along the way.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 05-31-2018 at 09:15 AM.