Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Default Question - what does it mean when a title "wasn't transfered"

Talking to a guy about a boat. Honestly, I'm interested but the wife isn't. It probably won't work out, but I'm still looking into it under the radar. Here is the question...

He says he has the trailer title, but it wasn't transferred from the original owner to the party he purchased the trailer from. It's not in his name. So the What would it take to get the title in my name? Boat title is in hand and in his name.

The whole thing is a bit fishy. The boat was for sale about 2 or 3 months ago out on the Eastern Shore. It's not the type of boat you see around a lot and after some conversation, I figured out he bought it and is reselling it at $500 more than the asking price without even putting it in the water or doing any upgrades.

Anyway, any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 06-22-2010, 10:44 AM

I think that I can actually help someone here on this one. I collect older Japanese motorcycles and restore them to ride. In the past few years, I've collected quite a number and have sold off some of the ones I didn't really want to keep.

When a buyer purchases a boat, trailer, motorcycle etc, he always has the option of not transfering the title to his or her name. There are several reasons that someone would choose not to transfer the title such as not wanting to pay title fees(along with State taxes), maybe not wanting things in their own name in cases where they worried about liability, etc. The trick is when you are buying this boat, trailer or motorcycle is that there is the possibility that there is still a LIEN against that vehicle or that you may have to forge (illegal) someones signature in order to transfer it to your name.

Let's say Bob sells his trailer to Joe for 800 bucks. Joe, tightwad that he is says "hmm, since I only run the boat 4 blocks to the ramp, I'm not going to bother titling(30 bucks + tax on 800) and registering(more money) the trailer I just bought. 5 years later Joe gets a big raise at work and can't wait to get into debt for a big new shiny boat. He lists the trailer (and boat) for sale....now he sells the boat...but he has this lingering issue with the trailer. The guy he bought it from, Bob, is dead...he died last year in a car crash. Since he's now dead, Joe can't get him to sign the bill of sale he's going to need at the MVA since he waited more then 6 months to transfer it. What does Joe do? Does he forge Bob's signature(who is dead) or does he sell the trailer and let the new owner figure it out on his own. most people I've run across let the new owner figure it out......

That's the story on the trailer....but take it from someone who has made lots of deals as well as was able to walk from many....if something doesn't sound right...RUN, do not walk away from that deal. Something seems fishy because it IS FISHY!!

Trust me, if you run from this deal, you will be happier afterwards!! I guarantee it!! Do not LET yourself get screwed!!

Erad
________
PAXIL CLASS ACTION

Last edited by eradicator; 09-03-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 PM

I think I know that guy Joe you used in your analogy Erad.
To date I have never had a problem titling a trailer as long as the signature on the back matches the name on the front and I don't recall ever furnishing a bill of sale. This may not be the case on a larger trailer with a higher sales value, I bought new
As far as a boat, which is not the case here, DNR asks for a bill of sale almost always.
As Erad said if it sounds fishy....

Last edited by onefishnfool; 06-22-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the advice. Guy bought the boat 3 months ago, never put it in the water. Fixed an axle on the trailer. And is now selling for $500 more than the last owner listed a few months ago. I might go take a look, but something doesn't seem right.
Cheers,
bob