Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-05-2016, 05:20 PM

Default Hackett's 6/3 Evening Chumming

My youngest and I chummed Hackett's Friday after work. Set-up around 6pm. High tide was stated around 4:30 but current was slowly still coming in. Caught one just shy of 24" after about half hour. Then sat thru a hour where boat was still North of anchor and baits could not decide if they wanted to be further behind the boat or under and infront of the boat. Caught an undersize fish or two, lost one when the line broke under the boat. Finally the boat swung around for outgoing tide around 8 o'clock, the surface erupted around us with breakers. Tried throwing a metal spoon at them but could not reach the school. Caught another 3 or 4 shorts and the another just under 24" twin to the first. Nice fat hard fighters. Left the net in the van so lifted all fish into the boat with the leader. Pulled anchor around 8:45 and headed back to Mattapeake. Retrieving anchor went much smoother this time. Drove up on it watching line to make sure it could not get in the prop, grabbed it with the boat hook and pulled everything back into the cockpit before we drifted back tight to it again. We did not get our limit but two keepers and a handful of shorts was enough action for us. A few of them were right at the 20" mark but too close for me to be confident in keeping. Fishing with 6/0 circle hooks and had one gut hooked short that floated away from the boat. We kept all the reels engaged this time and I think I liked that a bit better than using the bait runners.

Wyelife