Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 PM

Default Trolling Below BB Sun 11-29 w Pics

Launched at 6:30 from SPSP with my brother-in-law Chris and his brother Steve. Headed straight down the channel looking for some decent marks. First good marks started at Brickhouse Bar area, on the west side. Only had a few of the planer rods out when one of them goes down. It was back only 50', a tandem rig. A 37" rock hit a top bait which was a chute with a 6" shad. Finally got out the entire spread and had worked a little further south of Brickhouse. We were just below the deep hole working toward the east. We were in 90' of water when a deep umbrella starts screaming, shortly thereafter an umbrella back 200' with no weight starts screaming, shortly thereafter a planer rod back 150' and deep starts screaming. Holy chit, 3 rods had snagged something; no flags or floats anywhere and we were in 90 feet of water. Approx location was 38.54.7 & 76.23.13. Well that put a big hole in the spread and provided some local net fisherman about $100 worth of tackle. Took awhile to get over the being pissed phased, but got the planer rod re-rigged and back in operation and threw over a dummy line to handle the deep position. Heard everyone else catching in our area, but couldn't buy another bite as the current went slack.

There was a ton of boats down in the BP area, but not as many up in the channel area near TPL. We decided to chase the current south and as we did most of the boats around BPL started trolling north to the TPL area. The talk on the radio had indicated the TPL area was hotter than BPL and I guess that was the draw. We worked down to the BPL and found the area had pretty much cleared out and waited for the tide to turn. When it did we found a bunch of birds sitting and no other boats around. So we decided to find out what was below them. Sure enough, bait and fish. First pass through we picked up a 39" on the re-rigged planner rod. I did the best to keep the rod being reeling back near the console so as not to attract attention and didn't use a net to land the fish. Second pass we hooked up another 39" fish, which hit a planer rod, and again we tried to not attract attention, but as careful as we were, others were watching. Third pass through had us fighting for position to get at OUR DAMN fish. We already had our limit of overs in the box, so now we were basically C&R and hoping for some unders. Our third and final pass ended up being a cluster f%$#ing mess. A planer line back 150' explodes and moved nicely to the back. As we are reeling it in, the WWB rigged with a 2/6 tandem goes down. Don't you know it, they crossed. What a mess, but it was worth it. The planer line had caught a 27", an under, and the WWB had caught a fat 42" hog, which was quickly measured and released. We decided to get the hell out of dodge as every boat within eyesight made a beeline for our find. We trolled slowly north a little bit more and decided to call it a day and head for the ramp. It had been a good day: 39, 39, 37 & 27 on ice and a 42" fish released....Don

Chris with his 39" fish:

Steve with his 39" fish:

Last edited by drichitt; 11-29-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:38 PM

Good job Don; we saw your boat out there with that bow setup once during the day. Glad you got into them. 5th (Marty)
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 PM

Nice job on the fish.....too bad about losing the tackle.
If you think it was a submerged, unmarked net then I hope you made a report to DNR......even with reduced budget and manpower they take illegal netting pretty seriously.
I'll bet the Coasties would also be interested since it seems to be in the shipping channel.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 11-29-2009, 09:05 PM

I'm glad you did well, sorry about the excitement. I got to do xmas decorations today.
John
Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinsfishin View Post
Nice job on the fish.....too bad about losing the tackle.
If you think it was a submerged, unmarked net then I hope you made a report to DNR......even with reduced budget and manpower they take illegal netting pretty seriously.
I'll bet the Coasties would also be interested since it seems to be in the shipping channel.
I plan to call them in the am Steve. Man, I was so pissed. You would figure you gotta be safe in 90' of water. I heard another guy on the radio who snagged a few rigs in the same area, but he was in 60'. He said he figured it was an unmarked net because he could not see any flags or floats either. Maybe I caught the deeper end of the net?...Don
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 PM

Nice job on the fish, Don! A 6" shad, huh?

It sucks losing all that gear. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:46 AM

Good shots and nice talking to you today Don
Old 11-30-2009, 07:46 AM

Sounds like a good day. Sorry to hear about the lost gear Don.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 11-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Nice job. I think I was fishing right next to you. Thanks for giving way when I was circling the bait. I'm digging that planer board mast.

1-888-810-7283

Follow us on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=42003558593
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltackle View Post
Nice job. I think I was fishing right next to you. Thanks for giving way when I was circling the bait. I'm digging that planer board mast.
Keith - It is hard not to notice your boat. I had a couple newbies on board yesterday and they shared the steering duties. I was hoping you recognized our turn as 'trying' to help you out. Thanks for the confirmation. I need to get into your new store and pick up a few more of those mylar chutes you introduced last year. Lost one yesterday on an unmarked net. Those chutes have been my best lures this fall, but shhhhh, don't tell anyone...Don

Last edited by drichitt; 11-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.