Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 05-09-2016, 03:20 PM

Default One Hit Wonder!

Got a call from Fish Nut over the weekend saying the bite was good around buoy 80. So I decided since I only could do a morning trip to head there. We starting marking a lot bait on the way over so we set lines. Got into about 65' of water and one of my down rods goes Screaming. Handed the rod to a rookie on the boat and he reeled in a nice 40"er. Reset lines and back at it again. Ran back through the bait and boom a clip goes down but fish didn't hook up. This happened to us 4 more times. Must of been smaller fish I'm thinking. What was really crazy it started to rain and out of no where the wind picked up. It got so bad for about an hour I was trying to go west and I took a wave over the side wall. So we decided to reel in and call it a morning. Sure enough right when we finished the wind calmed down and it got nice again. But all in all a decent morning. Still a lot of bait between buoy 80 down to 78. Good luck out there Fellas!
Old 05-09-2016, 08:35 PM

A wave over the side wall??? Glad you made it back safely.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 AM

Justified as this sounds really odd, it was was the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me with the waves out there. As the small front that came through yesterday the wind picked up some not a lot lot but some. The wind was SW and the tide was going out. I was headed West toward Breezy point so the waves where hitting me port side. I would say the waves were 2'er maybe a few a tad bigger. Well out of nowhere I seen a wave a lot larger so I yelled everyone hang on and as I dipped down between, it broke right on the top of my side wall port side. It was the craziest thing to come out of nowhere like that. I looked around to see if any ships or boats were near but nothing. I can't explain where it came from really.