Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Foggy Day 11/25

Left the South River shortly after dawn with Gary (crabby and son). A fairly heavy fog had settled in over the waters..................................

I told Gary that I was concerned that the fog might be even heavier on the open waters. Only one way to find out. We had about a half a mile of visibility in the river. I was pleasantly surprised that visibility increased to about a mile as we neared the lighthouse.........................

We made our way past the last line of pots in 70 feet of water Gary took the helm as I began putting the boards and lines in the water. I had 3 boat rods and 4 planer rods out when one of the planer lines gets hit. I handed the rod to Gary and took the wheel. A couple of minutes into the fight, I backed our speed down a little to help Gary out. This turned out to be a mistake. 30 seconds later another planer rod gets hit but did not hook up. Dang....that's the problem with going too slow. A minute later another planer line pops and again no hookup. Okay Gary...you're on your own. Back up to 3 kts. We no sooner land Gary's 37 inch fish when a boat rod get hammered with drag running out. This was the most drag I have heard being taken from one of my reels in a long time. About the time I grab the rod the line goes limp Dang it man. I reeled the line in and find that the big fish had folded the shad tail over the hook. As I begin to send the rig back over the last planer line left in the water gets hit. I hand the rod to Gary and soon we have a 36 inch fish to finish our "over" limit. This has all occurred in about 20 minutes. I have 4 planer rods lying in the boat along with the boat rod I had just checked. I told Gary to take a deep breath when one of the two remaining rods in the water gets hit. This fish did not appear to be too big. I was thinking...27" under. As the fish appeared Gary and I both say......definately an under. As we land the "under" I tell Gary that we better measure just to be sure. 28 1/2 inch...."over"........back you go little guy Funny how a 28 inch fish looks small compared to these big ocean going rock.

It was pretty funny to see two empty planer lines and only the wwb rod still in the water. We got the lines back in the water but the action was over. We fished for another couple of hours and called it a day. Good talking to Drichitt (Don) amd 5th Tuition (Marty) out there. Good to see that there were a couple more crazies out there on a wet rainy day.

Gary with dinner............................................ ....

Fun..............wet...................day........ ....................Mark
Old 11-26-2009, 10:20 PM

Mark; good talking to you as well. The day didn't start very well for me. I was to meet a friend of mine at 6:30 and then head to SP to meet Alan (justchillin) at his boat at 7 am. At 6:40 my cell rings and my friend WAKES ME UP. Oh, No. Throw on some clothes, brush teeth, take a leak, and hit the road running. I make it to SP by 7:20 (no traffic tickets), to see Alan's boat in the water and motor running. We hop on board and everyone puts on their rain gear. Mine's back at the house. No problem, I always carry a small 99 cent rain poncho in my lunch container for just such emergencies. I take out the small pouch and everyone laughs because it has a sticker on it that says, "Ollies, their price $1.99 our price 99 cents". I've had the darn thing for years!!! I get the darn thing out of the pouch and it is so old, it's all stuck together. I swear, if you had taken a hot iron and run it over the pouch and melted the darn thing together, it could not have been stuck together more tightly. I start to SLOWLY peel it apart, trying not to rip it. The darn thing was made out of the flimsiest plastic. As I peel it away, I start laughing. It reminded me of that fabled condom we all carried in our wallet; just in case. If we had ever needed it, it would have probably needed the same type of microsurgery necessary to peel this apart. Everyone laughed at my analogy, and 30 minutes later I was wearing a bright yellow hooded poncho that made me look like bigbird the rest of the day.
Anyway, we did manage 4 nice fish; with the biggest (44 in) caught by a first time fisherman from Pa. who was with us. Caught one putting lines out, two trolling with our spread, and one as we were pulling lines in. I thought there were fewer pots around, and saw two crab boats pulling pots and stacking them onboard. Thanks for the onwater tips. Great day with friends. 5th (Marty)
Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 PM

Nice fishing report Mark and Gary. You both know we struggled to get our fish right there in the same area. Everything has been working so well; got the spread dialed in, the speed is just right, but nothing was biting for us. We chased the current south and finally found some nice current movement and bait. Picked up a 44, 39 and a 22" before the current went slack. Grass was a real problem for us...Don
Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 AM

Nice post Mark....sounds like an early bite.

1998 Sea Hunt 202 Triton
"Hoopty"
Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM

Nice Job,Mark!!!You let that Guy Gary on your Boat?? [Mike]
Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM

Mark, I got up at 3:30 and saw a steady fain and fog. Any body else and I would have called to see if they were still going. NOT YOU I knew we would be out there and I'm glad we did. It all happened quick and went away but you can't complain about those nice fish we caught. I never heard the sound of drag on your boat like the one that hit and got off. You can only guess about how BIG it was! Mike......I will see if Mark will let you come one time with me. He has enough room for a wheelchair and I could rent an electric reel. Thanks again Mark and I have your porta potty washed out............Gary
Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 AM

Nice job guys
Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM

Nice work guys. I got up at 6am to start on a turkey.. I was thinking about spashing the boat after I got the bird in the oven but thought my wife might execute me with 24 people coming to our house just after noon. Good report
Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks for reporting Mark, sounds like you guys had a fast and furious 20 minutes or so.

-JB
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 PM

John (Transition) and I made it out wednesday on his boat along with a couple friends.
slow most of the day but did manage 5 fish....23", 25", 2 @ 28" and 38".
drizzled and fog all day until we pulled the lines to run home and the sun came out

Don, sorry i didn't call left your cell number at home

170CC Proline
MSSA (NW Chapter)