Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Oh, and by the way; since I only post fishing reports on CBA, is there a way I can get a pair of sunglasses or a hat.
5th (Marty)
Old 11-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
So yesterday I posted (in the dummy line thread) that I wasn't going out today. I was so disgusted about going out of Ches. Beach yesterday and getting skunked looking for bubba; that I vowed not to go today. I lied. I got a call from a friend who wanted to go out of SP looking for some fish for the cooler, and then later we would switch over to large baits and look for bubba. Eating size fish, I'm in.
We left SP at daybreak and ran to one of my productive spots earlier in the fall with schooling fish. We put out a small 7 rod spread with small lures and began working 30-35 ft of water. At 7:57 I spotted what looked like either a 27 judge or 25 maycraft running to points south. I thought it might be Don (Hunter) or Greg (bfaithful). I figured it was not too early to call someone, so I put in a call to Don to see if he was on the water (he's retired so I thought it might be him on a weekday). It wasn't Don, but I got some good information on bait and large fish from his trip yesterday. As I was talking to him on the phone, I noticed a flock of birds working not far away.
As we got closer; I noticed we were the only boat in the area.
Because we were already trolling, it took a while to get to the birds. They had stopped flying and were now sitting on the water. I told my friend, no problem, the fish are still here. One rod went down, then another, and another. Five in total had fish on. We threw back the smallest (19-21 in.) and kept a couple bigger ones (24-25). We swung back though them again and two rods picked up more fish. This time they were sick fish (sores or scrapes) or small (19-21). Circled back and hit them a couple more times for a total of 14 (my count) or 18 (my friends count). We had 4 nice fish in the cooler, so we headed off to put out some bigger baits looking for bubba.
We only gave bubba about two hours of opportunity to hit. He didn't cooperate, so we racked the rods and ran for home.
We had a little more wind than I expected in the morning, but it layed down nicely in the midmorning, and we actually had to peel out of some clothes. It was a great day again for late November, so I couldn't refuse another opportunity to fish.
Today was one of those days when you wish you had MORE people on the boat so you could have brought home some more filets. Because we had fish in the cooler, we had decided to release bubba, if we found him (or should I say if he found us). Again; I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I am really concerned about the lack of big migratory fish. I hope it's the warm weather keeping the stock off the coast and they are going to be late arrivals. We shall see.
p.s. some of our 25 inch fish had sea lice.
5th (Marty)
Nice work Marty.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, and by the way; since I only post fishing reports on CBA, is there a way I can get a pair of sunglasses or a hat.
5th (Marty)
No and no discount on electronics either.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:34 PM

I have a few new Wish a Fish hats left over from July 2010.

Very well made - let me know if you want one.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Keith; that was a terrible sight to see me trying to net Allan's biggest fish ever and on the third try with the net, it got off and swam away (to die later I suppose from all the stress).
After that experience, I went over to Bass Pro Shop and bought something called a gaff. I don't see them being used much by other boats on the bay, but I haven't missed a big fish since. I try to stick them in the belly, that way you don't mess up as much meat on the filet.
5th (Marty)
Those gaffs are a lifesaver during PSCR. I've yet to loose any of my chutes to one of those worthless fish now that I boat 100% of them via gaff.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:59 PM

Gaffs - be a real man - use a cockpit harpoon
Old 11-27-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Those gaffs are a lifesaver during PSCR. I've yet to loose any of my chutes to one of those worthless fish now that I boat 100% of them via gaff.
Just remember to Photoshop the blood out of any pictures you post on the internet.