Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Default A big thank you to Fish Nut

Rob (fish nut) and his Dad (Bob) were kind enough to invite Lou and I out today for our first experience at trolling for spanish mackeral. I jumped at the chance to not only fish for a new spieces; but I wanted on their 25 Carolina Clasic.
What a sweet ride, with spanish and blues in the box as a bonus. Rob played Mate while his Dad was the captain who put us on fish. Lou and I learned quite a bit today about the planers, the spread, and drone/clark colors and sizes.
Good company with good people on calm water. Add a couple cold beers and it was a near perfect day.
Thanks again.
5th (Marty)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Marty...

Glad y'all got 'em. Nice seein' you and Rob at the meeting Monday. Where were you...anything pertickily hot...any size to 'em?

The 0 Drone..silver with yellow tape has been good down this way...TPL towards the 83...Western side in 40-80' of water.

Spanish are fun for a change of the regular routine. I always love chasing them since they are here for such a short time.

Jim
Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 PM

Jim; I don't think Rob would consider this spot burning to say we were all over the Bloody Pt./ Poplar Island area. We ran 5 rods and all rods picked up fish. I will be down to buy some drone's in O size and several colors.
It was great to be with some guys that can take my style of BS and harassment. At least I think they did, let's wait to see if I ever get an invite back.
I normally troll 3.5 to 4 with #15 tony's this time of the year and was surprised to find fish that like even faster speeds with drone's. We even picked up some rock on the turns when our lures slowed down just a little.
I grilled the spanish tonight and had a great dinner. Rob was going to smoke the other spanish and blues; something else I need to try.
With rain coming in the forcast; it will be a perfect time to come see you early next week and buy some tackle. Put a couple "pretty" ones away for me will ya?
5th (Marty)
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 AM

Marty, it was a pleasure having you and Lou on board. Just glad we could put some Spanish in the box. I noticed you didn’t go near the net I am looking forward to the next trip maybe we can take on some Red Drum !!!!!!!

Jim, we caught the Spanish on Drone spoons The pine green and yellow tape 0 and the silver with silver tape 0. All rods caught fish The Clark 0 spoons only caught blues. The Drone 0 black with gold tape caught blues and a rock on this trip.

We caught the rock in shallower water and probably wasted some of our time in the am fishing too shallow. If we fished deeper we may have caught more Mac’s. The Mac’s came in deeper water 52’- 104’ the Mac’s were spitting up rain minnows / silver sides.

I smoked the blues.

However, I have a date tonight with mackerel broiled in white wine with cracked pepper

Can't wait to go after them Mac's again

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 08-23-2010 at 07:12 AM.