Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 AM

Default Need some input...

I was out yesterday, north of the bridge. I heard people complaining about jellies.. I didn't have to clean baits once, was I too deep? Do jellies stay high?

Joe
Old 04-26-2015, 11:23 AM

I'm doing some research ( on line ) on them now but from experience - there seems to be areas where the jellies are worse.

My guess is current and / or wind pushes them into certain areas. Might even be tied into salinity or temp. - hence deeper lines being fouled while shallow lures do not.

I've seen times where west side is bad - say out to 50 feet , then fine over to eastern side - or vice versa.

All that said - it does pay off to check / clear lures often. Many times the side just cleaned will hook up a fish or two before other side is cleaned.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:25 PM

I was out north of the bridge on Saturday. Only my 4 deep lines got jellies. Checked my whole spread twice but just my deep rods had been attacked.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:34 PM

Joe...Skip is right about "certain areas" being worse than others. That being said, I have had the worse luck on the deep lures. To combat them I have done 2 things....1)switched to small umbrellas w/single chutes on 5 board lines. 2) on the other 2 board lines I run the tandems in closest to the boat so I can check them constantly without having to pull in the whole works. The small umbrellas catch the jellies and keep the lures clean and checking the tandems keeps them catching!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:54 PM

I got CRUSHED today with jellies. 3oz solo to umbrella with 28oz. Couldnt keep the lures cleaned at all from the shallows to the channel. Never stopped cleaning lines on the ebb from SR to 85. Only 2 fish to show for it and no bait.