Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 06-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Talking Caught Trophy Rock Till Our Arms Fell Off - 6/7/12 Cape Cod

Epic Rockfishing with Hairball Charters, Cape Cod June 7th 2012

When Kate and I go on vacation, we always make fishing part of our itinerary. Now that the big rockfish have by and large departed for the Chesapeake until late fall, it made sense to get one more crack at trophy rockfish as part of our late spring 2012 stay in Cape Cod.

On June 7th, we took a trip with Hairball Charters out of Falmouth, and it was nothing short of epic. Kate and I caught over two dozen trophy rockfish, most of them in the mid to high 30 inch range, and a handful eclipsing the 40 inch mark.

We were jigging handmade “hairball” jigs with 3 oz heads dressed with a strip of “tube and worm” pork rind while doing a very slow troll (about 1 knot) along a ridge that dropped off from about 40 feet to 80 feet. We started out using white, and towards the end of the day we switched to green chartreuse.

We had a double hookup on just about every pass, and there were several passes where Kate and I each brought two huge cows to the side of the boat.

Kate’s largest fish, which was released after we had limited out, was a healthy 42-inch behemoth that tipped the scales at about 23 pounds. My largest, which was also released after we caught our limit, was a large cow in the 44-inch range. Earlier in the trip, I caught a 42-incher that was boated. One or two other fish around 40 inches were caught. Kate and I were sore but happy by day’s end, and we would recommend Hairball Charters to anyone considering a rockfish charter in Cape Cod.
http://www.hairballcharters.com/

In Massachusetts, It’s Two Per Angler Per Day, All year Long, 28” and Larger

The Captain and Mate Each Took One Home

Hairball Lure Rigged With “Tube-and-Worm” Pork Rind

Hairball Lures
http://www.hairballcharters.com/hairball-lures/

Tags
cape cod, epic rockfishing, hairball charters