Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Default Our 22 hour fishing quest

Well we made it back safe and sound and I’ll try and make this as short as possible.

Rob and I left Walkersville at 1:45am and headed for the Eastern shore, Ray did not make the trip. We arrived in OC at 4:50am and as soon as we pulled in I heard someone say “Hey” it was Johnny O getting ready to head out to the deep blue in search of some tuners. We splashed the boat and our first quest was to catch some stripers at the bridge. We started fishing the bridge and the tide was coming in and as soon as we threw our 7” BA we got hit but it was not a striper it was blues so after losing about 5 or 6 BA we switched over to Gotcha Plugs and then we started to catch some small blues. Rod then hooked up to a fairly nice blue that went about 17” and we put that one in the box. I then caught one about 16” and he went in the box as well. Then Rob threw up against the draw bridge and hooked up and he said “I got a nice one” he got it to the boat it was not a blue and it was not a striper but a 14” Tog and that’s right he caught it on a Gotcha Plug. Well we thought the size limit was 15” so back over he went, this would later come back to haunt us. We played around catching blues for the next hour and hell we even had another guy come over to us and asked if we would catch a few for him so he could use them for flounder so we caught 4 and threw then in his boat. Well we did not catch a striper at the bridge so now it’s time to go after some Tog. We went back to Akes and picked up a pint of green crabs and went to my tog spot. As soon as Rob dropped down we hooked up to a nice tog only to loose it at the boat it may have been about 16 or so it was a nice one. I then hooked up a nice fish but come to find out it was a striper, he ate a leg of a green crab but he was only about 19”. Rob then hooked up another one and we got that one in the boat and it was 15” so in the box he went. I then hook up to a few small ones and then I had a nice one hooked up but that one also got off at the boat “Damn It”. It was now about 9 so we pulled in our tog rigs and got set up for some flounder. We headed for the flounder spot and on our first drift I had one hooked up and if felt like a nice one Rob netted the flounder only to have it come up about a ½” short 18 ½”. We had some nice drifts and caught about 10 flounder but all of them were short. At 11:00 we decided to go out in the Ocean to see if we could find any breakers that Paul (Realtor) had told me about. We went about 5 miles North of the inlet but did not see any thing but we did see a pod of Dolphin but what made it neat was they had some little ones with them. OK now its about 12 so we headed back in to fish one more time for stripers at the bridge and when we got there the tide was RIPPING out so we fished until about 12:45 because I wanted to leave no later then 1:00 to head for the Bay Bridge. We did not catch any stripers at the bridge so we loaded up the boat got gas and headed West. About 8 miles outside of OC we seen nothing but break lights and I knew we were in trouble. I wanted to be at the Bay Bridge no later then 3 to catch the out going tide but I knew that was not going to happen They had a fatal accident and had ALL lanes closed so all the traffic going on sides rods to get back on 50. After we stopped in Cambridge to grab a quick bite we headed for the bridge. When we got to the bridge my good friend Tim Smith was just taking off and he called me earlier in the day telling me he was catching fish but when he told me the tide was dead I knew we had missed it. Well we headed for the Eastern side of the bridge and Tim was right the tide was dead and so were the fish. I then headed North to the Chester and we looked around up there and found nothing so we then headed South to Brick House Bar and again we found nothing. I told Rob I’m not giving up so back to the bridge we went. We fished until 8:30 and after catching many micro dinks we called it a day. We loaded the boat up and I had called Ted the guy that won the auction on the 2 rods that I gave Skip and he met us in the parking lot, I out different gimbals on the 2 rods and also spiffed up one his other rod. So after talking to Ted we headed home and we arrived at 10:45. So to sum it up, we caught all the fish we targeted but only brought 3 fish home, 1 tog and 2 blue fish. We logged in 22 hours of fishing and drive time and put 422 miles on the truck. I had a GREAT time with Rob and would I do it again HELL YES. Who’s ready to go????

By the way Brain never made to my house, he overslept
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Whew; and I thought I was tired. I give you an A for effort; thanks for a nice read.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Wow...All I can say is wow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
Well we made it back safe and sound and I’ll try and make this as short as possible.

Rob and I left Walkersville at 1:45am and headed for the Eastern shore, Ray did not make the trip. We arrived in OC at 4:50am and as soon as we pulled in I heard someone say “Hey” it was Johnny O getting ready to head out to the deep blue in search of some tuners. We splashed the boat and our first quest was to catch some stripers at the bridge. We started fishing the bridge and the tide was coming in and as soon as we threw our 7” BA we got hit but it was not a striper it was blues so after losing about 5 or 6 BA we switched over to Gotcha Plugs and then we started to catch some small blues. Rod then hooked up to a fairly nice blue that went about 17” and we put that one in the box. I then caught one about 16” and he went in the box as well. Then Rob threw up against the draw bridge and hooked up and he said “I got a nice one” he got it to the boat it was not a blue and it was not a striper but a 14” Tog and that’s right he caught it on a Gotcha Plug. Well we thought the size limit was 15” so back over he went, this would later come back to haunt us. We played around catching blues for the next hour and hell we even had another guy come over to us and asked if we would catch a few for him so he could use them for flounder so we caught 4 and threw then in his boat. Well we did not catch a striper at the bridge so now it’s time to go after some Tog. We went back to Akes and picked up a pint of green crabs and went to my tog spot. As soon as Rob dropped down we hooked up to a nice tog only to loose it at the boat it may have been about 16 or so it was a nice one. I then hooked up a nice fish but come to find out it was a striper, he ate a leg of a green crab but he was only about 19”. Rob then hooked up another one and we got that one in the boat and it was 15” so in the box he went. I then hook up to a few small ones and then I had a nice one hooked up but that one also got off at the boat “Damn It”. It was now about 9 so we pulled in our tog rigs and got set up for some flounder. We headed for the flounder spot and on our first drift I had one hooked up and if felt like a nice one Rob netted the flounder only to have it come up about a ½” short 18 ½”. We had some nice drifts and caught about 10 flounder but all of them were short. At 11:00 we decided to go out in the Ocean to see if we could find any breakers that Paul (Realtor) had told me about. We went about 5 miles North of the inlet but did not see any thing but we did see a pod of Dolphin but what made it neat was they had some little ones with them. OK now its about 12 so we headed back in to fish one more time for stripers at the bridge and when we got there the tide was RIPPING out so we fished until about 12:45 because I wanted to leave no later then 1:00 to head for the Bay Bridge. We did not catch any stripers at the bridge so we loaded up the boat got gas and headed West. About 8 miles outside of OC we seen nothing but break lights and I knew we were in trouble. I wanted to be at the Bay Bridge no later then 3 to catch the out going tide but I knew that was not going to happen They had a fatal accident and had ALL lanes closed so all the traffic going on sides rods to get back on 50. After we stopped in Cambridge to grab a quick bite we headed for the bridge. When we got to the bridge my good friend Tim Smith was just taking off and he called me earlier in the day telling me he was catching fish but when he told me the tide was dead I knew we had missed it. Well we headed for the Eastern side of the bridge and Tim was right the tide was dead and so were the fish. I then headed North to the Chester and we looked around up there and found nothing so we then headed South to Brick House Bar and again we found nothing. I told Rob I’m not giving up so back to the bridge we went. We fished until 8:30 and after catching many micro dinks we called it a day. We loaded the boat up and I had called Ted the guy that won the auction on the 2 rods that I gave Skip and he met us in the parking lot, I out different gimbals on the 2 rods and also spiffed up one his other rod. So after talking to Ted we headed home and we arrived at 10:45. So to sum it up, we caught all the fish we targeted but only brought 3 fish home, 1 tog and 2 blue fish. We logged in 22 hours of fishing and drive time and put 422 miles on the truck. I had a GREAT time with Rob and would I do it again HELL YES. Who’s ready to go????

By the way Brain never made to my house, he overslept
Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM

100 % proof our sport is a true addiction.

Awesome trip.

If you go to OC again and have calm ocean - try running SE out of the inlet about 4 miles to #4 marker - Great Gull Bank. Drift cut Blues for small sharks - 10 to 40 lbs.
They are great fun on light gear.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM

Sounds like one HELL of a day!!!

Glad to hear B-man is still sleeping in!!!! I bet DL woulda KILLED him!!!!

GW 222