Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Default 40" Red Drum - 9/2/2015

We had a beautiful day for our plan to run all the way down south of Breezy Point to chase bluefish and spanish macs. The bay was like a sheet of glass most of the day, and we hardly saw any other boats out all day. Trolling at 8mph with hopes of catching spanish since we didn't see much of anything except bait on the surface and on the fishfinder, we had both front windows wide open and kept us cool.

Well, the blues and macs never showed up, but this 40" Red Drum took a Captain John Spoon on a Spreader Bar at 8mph! You might notice in the picture that there is a #1 planer tangled with the spreader bar... this is because somehow the beast managed to hit 3 lines and took them all down hard peeling drag and making a ruckus. We were sure that we snagged something on the bottom as I slowed the boat down to a crawl, until we realized we were in 26 feet of water, and then Marty yelled, "I felt a head shake." We got all the lines in and out of the way and proceeded to get the fish to the side of the boat and realized way too big for summer net. I reached one hand under the gill and other holding the spoon/lip and hoisted him aboard.

We ended up covering about 100 miles searching from Parker's Creek to Choptank to Poplar Narrows and Eastern Bay, eventually finding breaking fish under birds late in the day, but all short rock and small blues except for a pair of decent size blues. Didn't matter though, that Red Drum made the other-wise mediocre day just awesome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marty red drum.jpg (93.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg cj spoon spreader red drum.jpg (65.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-03-2015, 05:34 PM

I was speaking to Marty earlier about this today and I swear it sounded happier than a pig in sh@? ! Or a 5 year old on Christmas Eve, or a proud dad who's wife just gave birth or in his case a daughter that gave him a grandchild! Whatever the case he is tickled to death and I personally want to congratulate you both for a catch of a lifetime for the mid bay! Congrats again guys, very impressive catch and RELEASE'
Old 09-03-2015, 05:34 PM

Thanks for posting that Jason I was itching to see it on CBA.

When I felt the head shake, I assumed it was a big rockfish. I've caught my share of them, but when I saw the red color coming up behind the boat; my heart beats went up considerably.
Jason did a great job getting her in the boat

Can't beat those Capt. John Spoons
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1890.jpg (48.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Whoa! Compared to this all I have done this year is snag Cow Nose Rays. Congrats, super cool!