Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM

Default Lowrance Insight USA maps

I am planning to take my boat down to Hatteras Island for two weeks in May to fish offshore, and near shore. I have a Lowrance HDS 10 Gen 2 with Insight maps. Do I need a card for the outer banks or will the insight be sufficient? I can't imagine that the card will help figure out the inlets or the shifting sand bars, but thought I would ask the experts here.

Thanks, Jeremy

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM

I spoke with Brian Horsley, who guides out of Oregon Inlet, yesterday. Oregon Inlet is now open and charter boats are getting out. But there have been serious problems there since November. No charts or cards will be able to keep up to date with the shifting sands in that inlet. They did just get $11M for dredging and I believe Brian said a bigger dredge was coming on line. I assume you will be trailering down there, but I'd recommend you contact the Coast Guard for info on current conditions. OI would be the place I'd be most concerned about. Hatteras Inlet pretty much stays open, but it can also get very hairy.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:57 AM

Oregon Inlet maybe open, but as of today, Hatteress is not. Captain rescheduled our tuna trip till February because people are still running aground. Ill let you know what it looks like after Feb 20th
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM

I was hoping to use Hatteras Inlet. My boat doesn't draw much. I'll just take it slow if need be. If Hatt is closed in May I guess I'll just trailer back up to OI.

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s