Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 08-23-2013, 05:19 PM

Default 8/23 scratched out a few off Rock Hall

It was a struggle, and we didn't get any monsters, and I will not surrender the trolling gear but don't want to get the &?$/" boards out yet so we took what we could get today. started on Swan point and ended up in the thicket. Pulled hose,spoon bars, bfg, drones, crippled alewive at various times during the day. Marked fish and could not get them to bite! They were there, and I didn't leave fish to go look for fish....(for several hours anyway).
Caught 6 fish total- returned 3 cause we only wanted to keep 3 to eat. We caught good eaters at least (22"-25"). And only lost $30 worth of tackle today!!
May go tomorrow, but making a half-assed attempt Sunday morning for sure. Would really like to do an evening trip to find some croakers sometime this weekend!!!!

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM

Glad you got a few on the troll.

I'm feeling a little too lazy to do the whole live lining gig this weekend.

Sunday I'm gonna pick up some of Capt John's spreader bars and spoons and try driving around down near Stone Rock. If nothing else I'll clean the bottom of the boat off.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:52 PM

Chessie,
I will be out tomorrow. I talked to a friend that said the same thing about today. Fish were there and not biting. I may put a board out tomorrow. Blues are in the area. I may be solo so I will be covering a lot of water and changing stuff up every 10 minutes because I get bored. Give me a call and we can exchange stories.

Tawn,
You're on your own. I won't get down that way, unless the beer kicks in.

bhl (Bruce)
Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Glad you got a few on the troll.

I'm feeling a little too lazy to do the whole live lining gig this weekend.

Sunday I'm gonna pick up some of Capt John's spreader bars and spoons and try driving around down near Stone Rock. If nothing else I'll clean the bottom of the boat off.
Good luck with that!! FYI I hear a pressure washer works well too.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl View Post
Chessie,
I will be out tomorrow. I talked to a friend that said the same thing about today. Fish were there and not biting. I may put a board out tomorrow. Blues are in the area. I may be solo so I will be covering a lot of water and changing stuff up every 10 minutes because I get bored. Give me a call and we can exchange stories.

Tawn,
You're on your own. I won't get down that way, unless the beer kicks in.

bhl (Bruce)
A.D.D. is a terrible disease. I didn't make it out yet and thinking today is an "empty the cooler" day instead

Old 08-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Just got back from lunch down at Happy Harbor. The guys were all rolling back in around 1130 limited out of Rockfish. Some of the guys had some big fish in the box. 30-34"!

As much as I don't want to dick around spot fishing so we can live line, I may just have to.

Jeff, I have a 225 HP Pressure washer on the back. It's a lot more pleasant to open a cold one, put it on the pins, and run across the Bay than it is to pull it and actually wash the funk off the bottom.

Last edited by Tawn; 08-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawn View Post
it's a lot more pleasant to open a cold one, put it on the pins, and run across the bay than it is to pull it and actually wash the funk off the bottom. :d
you got that right!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

I caved in and went live lining instead. We didn't throw lines until 0900 and passed up all the guys spot fishing out front only to find my double top secret spot hole had dried up. Anticipating bluefish problems, I wanted 15 a piece especially since the two five year olds we had on the boat loved "stirring" the bait tank, so it took a little longer bait fishing than I would have liked.

Once we had enough spot around 1030, we headed across towards the area south of Poplar...what a zoo. You could have walked across the Tilghman Reef on the boats without getting your feet wet. Refusing to combat fish, we looked around, away from the mob and found a nice little pile to work on.

Nothing special, but a steady pick of 20-22" fish without too many bluefish problems. Only had one throwback and turned several 18-19" lip hooked fish loose just to keep the kids entertained.

Wrapped it up at 1200...gave trolling for bluefish a half-hearted attempt until we realized that we were all hungry....and thirsty.

Came back in the creek, backed into the Harbor, cleaned the fish and dropped them off with the girls to have fried up.

Good day had by all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 Aug boat.jpg (34.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 25 Aug fish box.jpg (58.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 25 Aug Cody.jpg (62.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 08-26-2013 at 05:53 AM.