Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2010, 09:18 AM

Default When is a Skunk Really a Skunk?

My bud and I disagreed on the definition of a fishing skunk. We looked for a day and a half without seeing any evidence of fish. I swear I smelled a foul odor on the boat. We did see porpoise and whales but no bait or stripers. On the third day we found the mother lode.

I say we suffered a nasty skunk--actually two. Mike said it was not a skunk because we did not wet a line. I cannot remember my last skunk but am quite sure it was in the Susky Flats either last year or the year before. The flats is famous for having skunks take over your boat if you fish only lures and flies and the water is cold and dirty. A skunk now and then makes the experience of a great day all the sweeter and lets you know you still have plenty to learn.

Last edited by Wild Bill; 03-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
My bud and I disagreed on the definition of a fishing skunk. We looked for a day and a half without seeing any evidence of fish. I swear I smelled a foul odor on the boat. We did see porpoise and whales but no bait or stripers. On the third day we found the mother lode.

I say we suffered a nasty skunk--actually two. Mike said it was not a skunk because we did not wet a line. I cannot remember my last skunk but am quite sure it was in the Susky Flats either last year or the year before. The flats is famous for having skunks take over your boat if you fish only lures and flies and the water is cold and dirty. A skunk now and then makes the experience of a great day all the sweeter and lets you know you still have plenty to learn.
For me, if any fishing activity was performed it counts as a trip, and if no fish were caught it counts as a skunk. Exception - a brief amount of fishing activity was performed but halted due to natural conditions (i.e. wind), it is not a trip and no skunk. In other words, if 2 dumbasses go out in 20knot winds in an 18ft aluminum boat, get half way out there and decide it would be better not to do this, it's not a trip.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM

I'm probably more liberal than your friend (WTF, did I just call myself liberal). Anyway, If you're not seeing signs of fish (no bait, no birds, nobody else catching around you), I say it's not a skunk.
We were out Tuesday with a small six rod spread for a shakedown cruise and didn't mark much on the finder. I don't count this as a skunk.
HOWEVER; Greg (bfaithfull) was out trolling beside us with 13 rods and plannerboards. Now he got skunked.
Just kidding Greg, I still want a ride on that "plastic" Judge.
5th (Marty)

p.s. always saw the competition between Grady's and Parkers, now it looks like Maycraft vs Judge is in vogue.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:54 AM

If you went out looking for a fish and didnt find any, that is a skunk.

Questions I have are:
  • is it a skunk if you dont catch the fish you are targeting but catch another kind. (ie. catch a croaker when you were black drum fishing, sea robins while fishing for flounder, bluefish while fishing for stripers)?
  • Is it a skunk if you only catch trash fish like rays, spiney dogfish, sea robins, toadfish?
  • is it a skunk if you dont catch a keeper-sized fish even if you dont keep them? (do undersize fish count)

I was skunked Tuesday on the bay at BPL as we didnt even get a knockdown. Didnt want to take the time or fuel to visit a wwd and wanted to put out a trolling spread to see if a few early birds were around. It was still a great day on the water! I tend to get skunked when my father drives down from NJ to fish with me. That is my guaranteed omin for a tough day of fishing.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM

I am getting a whiff of skunk here. If you are looking for fish, in my book you are fishing. Now if you were just out burning gas because you enjoy a long, long boat ride, then I might be a little less inclined to call it a woods *****. Let your conscience be your guide.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm not sure I would call a trip a skunk if you don't get your lines wet. (harsh weather excluded of course)

However, fishing dead water is like watching paint dry to me.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM

It's a skunk. If you choose to go through the trouble of launching, getting gear ready, and looking for fish, then you went fishing--even if you never wet a line. Part of the practice of fishing is gathering intelligence and making an informed decision to go out, followed by dozens of other decisions/practices that will increase your chances of landing fish. If you chose to go out during a time of year (or day) when the waters are barren or you simply can't find the fish, then your plan was flawed and the fish won that day. At least you tried.

KING KONG AIN'T GOT NOTHIN' ON ME!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:46 AM

If there are no fish being caught - dock up and grab a beer and a burger at a waterside venue.

Trade that skunk for a boat ride and lunch.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
If you chose to go out during a time of year (or day) when the waters are barren or you simply can't find the fish, then your plan was flawed and the fish won that day.
I mostly agree with what you wrote Rex. If you live by your above statement, however, then every time you go out you catch fish, every time. You certainly would not go out with a flawed plan.

In my book if you go fishing and do not catch fish, it is a skunk for that day. It does not matter that you did not wet a line.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM

I have a different take on skunks. My definition is if you go out and don't catch your targeted species, it's a skunk. If I head out to the bay in August targeting Rocks, and all I got to show for it is Blues, then I had a skunk. With that said, not catching ANYTHING is a skunk on a higher plain.