Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 09-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Interesting experience today

I had something happen today that has never happened to me before while fishing.
I was out with Captain John on his charter boat pulling his spreader bars and catching 16" blues two at a time
While off Tilghman Island, I was bringing in another double header. The blues were jumping, splashing, and trying their best to throw the hook. About 50-75 ft behind the boat, a sea creature () snatched one of the blues and took off for the bottom. The blues were "dancing" on top of the water when this happened.
Three of us on the back of the boat SAW this happen. When the reels drag started singing, I instinctively put my thumb on the spool to slow the decent. All this accomplished was to put put enough pressure on the fish to allow it to rip the blue off the hook (blues have a soft mouth).
We all looked at one another What the he11 just happened? We started to talk about what would be big enough to do this. A huge rockfish, a shark, or possibly a porpoise could be responsible. No one saw a fin of any kind. We did see a big animal with only about three or four inches of BODY exposed before taking the bluefish.
I almost wish it had been bitten in half. I could have looked at the bite mark!!

Anyway, it was an interesting experience.
5th
Old 09-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Wow .maybe I should think twice about going for a dip.

A buddy of mine ran into the same class of bluefish around wr1 today.

But no report of a sea creature yet....

jimmy
Old 09-03-2014, 06:06 PM

Huge snakehead
Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 PM

Ok, I watch a lot of horror movies, so I know about these things. If you want to catch this creature, the best bait is half naked college girls. The trick is to catch them a little buzz, and get them to go skinny dipping, or float around on a raft. If there is a shark, sea monster, killer octopus, slasher wearing a hockey mask, etc..., they will show up in a blink of an eye.

Joe
Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Joe,
I like the way you think. Let's head down to Solomon's Tiki Bar and see if we can get any college girls majoring in Marine Science
5th
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Marty, while we are there, can we look for on who is a med student? Because once my girl finds out what we are up to, I'm gonna need someone to sew my balls back on...

Joe
Old 09-04-2014, 07:45 AM

You should have rigged a blue like a naked Hoo and put it out behind John's boat. You could have used his antenna like a green stick, I don't think he would have minded

bhl (Bruce)
Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Am I the only one that would want the college girls on the boat and to hell with fishing ?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garlien View Post
Am I the only one that would want the college girls on the boat and to hell with fishing ?
You're right I'm with you! it's sad to see guys get so old isn't it?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 PM

I've used live 9-11 inch Blues to live line and catch 30-36 inch Rock so 100% they will eat them.

Not sure about your drag settings - with mine , a 36 '' Rock might pull 2-3 feet but not make line zing out.

Large Red Drum are in the area - they'll take a live Blue but not too sure about up on top like you describe. They are like Rock and need to swallow prey whole - would pull Blue off hook as you describe.

Bull sharks are sometimes caught around this time of year in that area and they will grab hooked fish from a line.

Really big Blues will cannibalize some ones but not many really big ones have been around and they often bite prey in half.

Those are likely candidates in my book - with big Red Drum - IMHO , most likely.

Be interesting to hear if others have Blues grabbed off the hook.