Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Breezy Point 5/5

I have an old friend (70+) and had been promising to get him out since opening day. He's a bit unstable on his feet so we needed a calm day. The fishing for me has sucked from Bloody Point and North. I've been dreading taking him (Will) on an all day boat ride for one fish (if I'm lucky).
With reports of more fish South, I invited Will, along with a good friend to act as mate (Mark), for a quick trip today. Winds were calling for light and variable until around 10 am and then slowly picking up from the south to about 10 mph around 1-2 pm.
I fiqured we could run south from breezy and troll until noon and if the winds picked up, we would at least have them to our stern on the run back to Breezy.
Dropped lines just north of 78 and trolled south toward 78A (or is it the other way around?). Anyway; most bait appeared to be in the deeper channel waters, and we picked up one nice fish before the tide quit. At least the skunk was off the boat and Will had his fish. Continued the troll south towards the CP buoy (my destination) during the slack tide.
Once we hit the CP (not literally), we started our west/east pattern. Bait was once again in deeper water, but I thought if we tried some shallower waters (54 ft), we would cover more of the water coloum.
We swung into 45 ft and headed back towards deeper water. Don (Hunter) was way souith of us and had called to say they had been in some nice action earlier. I figured we were due when the tide changed, and about 10:30 we heard a board rod thump. It looked like 65 ft with bait was the ticket. Every pass back on our trail (love that new hds 7) produced a fish.
Mark took the second fish, another nice one. The third was given to Will again (he takes a while to get a fish to the boat); and soon after landing it, I was back on the spot, and we had a fourth hookup.
I tried to give it to Will, but he was too worn out from just bringing in his last fish (so I brought in the first C/R fish of the day).
We made a long loop out into deeper water and reset two lines. As we reached the magical 65 ft mark; yes another rod popped. Will had recovered enough to bring his third fish of the day (our 5th) in for our last fish.
We figured if we ran the trail one or two more times, we might pick up another fish or two, but it was already a great day and memorable for my old friend.
We racked the rods at 12:30 and ran back on flat calm seas to clean some fish at the Breezy table. I expected Will to crash and sleep on the way home, but the adrenalin must have still been pumping.
Once we arrived at my house, we sat on the front porch and relived the day with a couple cold ones. He left with several bags of fresh caught and cleaned rockfish. As he turned his truck around in the driveway, he mentioned he would be up for another trip in the near future.
I silently laughed to myself, knowing that I probably used up all my good karma on this one day to get him on some fish.
5th (Marty)

p.s.
Green tandems off the board were hot today (60 to 90 ft back). Not one deep boat rod produced.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Marty,

Nice day...Glad you finally got on them, especially with someone who will really appreciatte it...Glad you could help someone make some memories today....

Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 08:19 PM

Sounds like a great trip. The Karma Gods will let you slide this time i hope.

TED
Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM

Looks like the bucket in the cabin worked............Gary
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM

Sounds like Marty got his groove back! Good going.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 AM

WTG Marty sounds like thigs are starting to pick up for you trolling guys or at least for one day...gald you got your buddy on some fish and I sure hope he will be alble to make it out with you again and you can put him back on some fish.
Contact Info:
Backyard Custom Rods and Repairs.
(301) 898-1136 or Cell (240) 486-0007
E-Mail BCRodsandRepairs@aol.com
Old 05-06-2010, 08:36 AM

Nice going Marty. We found all of our bait was in the deeper water as well and that produced a much nicer grade of fish. I am convinced you now need to be below the Little Choptank to catch a limit, unless you are " Doin Time".....Don
Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Don; I certainly agree that to be below the Little Choptank is a great advantage. If we stay above the Chop, we don't have the opportunity to catch those fish leaving the Chop. With the fishing being so slow above Bloody Point, it only made sense to trailer south.
For an average fisherman like myself; I need to be where the population of fish is greater. I would have liked to have gone even further south, but with my elderly buddy going, I thought leaving my house at 4 am was early enough.
5th (Marty)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Baldzilla

Nice going Marty, glad you found them...Since Keith bagged tomorrrow I had a few hours this morning and since I had not fished in a LONG time...only ran close to the bridge, but found fish there...actually got a quick 3 person limit but there are still fish up our way...save the run...putting in a full day tomorrow!!! Thanks to the secret person who helped me in the right direction after my lay off!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Great read Marty...I actually went trolling Wed am for a little while...had 3 fish limit by 7am up to 37"...Deep rods (White Umbrella) was the hot stick for us...than we went fishing (I mean LTJing)......