Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Gear, Tackle, Electronics

Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Default Winter storage project for outriggers

The time has come to store the outriggers for the season, so this is how I decided to store mine.

The rigger poles are Lee 2" dia, bright finish, 'extra heavy' poles that are 19' long.
The product description says 'extra heavy', but I would be surprised if both poles together weighed 20#'s (probably less).

I began by buying a 2"x3"x8' white pine and a 1"x3"x8" white pine stock and marking the 2x3 into six, 12" segments. The 1x3 was marked into six 6" and six 3" segments.
Then I took the wood to my neighbor who sliced it up for me on his wicked chop saw - the blade on that thing had over 100 carbide tips. :shock:

Once I got the wood home, the assembly could begin.

My plan was to glue and screw everything together, which was easier said then done. Holding everything together and keeping it square while you glue and screw wasn't happening.

Time for plan B.

I knew it wouldn't be as strong as screwing the wood while the glue was wet, but I decided to glue first, then screw later.
Since these outriggers aren't monster heavy, I figured screwing them after the glue dried would be the way to go.

After the glue dried, I drilled pilot holes and screwed everything together using drywall screws.

I borrowed my neighbors laser level, set it up on a ladder, and marked where I wanted the 'hooks' to go. The studs in the garage weren't on any predictable centers, so I went with what I had and started screwing them to the wall.

Success!

The garage is 21' deep and the outriggers are 19'.
That's why I didn't buy the Lee 22' riggers.

Parker 2520 MVSC
"Chesapeake Edition"

Annapolis, Maryland
http://ClassicParker.com/
Old 12-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Nice work Kev.. I need you to come over and get me organized