Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Upper bay Spy / Infiltration report

I have had the wonderful opportunity to fish with a few different anglers on the shore and the upper bay this year.
Learning some new tricks and sharing some along the way……

Today a buddy had some friends in from out of Town and needed help running the boat and baiting hooks and such… He just wanted to keep it a fun trip. We rigged for perch and spot…

First location was Tolchester we drifted this are with limited success, caught a few small white perch and 3 or 4 spot in the live well they went……

Second location was Hodges bar. My buddy has a nice little lump of oyster shell he likes to target. We drifted this area with hi low rigs baited with bloods, a nice pick of white perch. As tide started to move we ended up getting some nice perch in the 10” range we quickly put them on ice… Secretly, I was sneaking all of the small perch in the live well……. WE did managed to bag about 8 spot.
Moved into deep water on a drift and to my surprise we found a nice school of spot. Doubles stated coming over the side we put 20 or so in the live well and decided to give live lining a try

Third location love point. The fleet was anchored up we looked around found some nice marks and change over our rigs. Found a nice hump in 30’ of water deployed spot and released two dozen small perch from the live well. The fish finder littttttt up sadly the spot went un-harassed. Cut a few spot in to strips and started chumming. Game on spot strips were the ticket…. Ended up catching a ton of small fish in the 16” – 17” range and finialy put a few barleys on ice….

Forth location ran above Tolchester found a nice deep hole with current and deployed chicken liver. Within 5 Minutes fish on a nice 30” cat. Then a 18” then another 20”. Cat attack…… Our guests were having a ball. We were covered up with these whiskered monsters….. We put the small ones in the cooler and decided to have a fish fry at the landing for the guest.

Wow, those whiskered fish fried up nice. Filleted out the surviving spot and perch and added them to the hot also. Washed them down with some sliver soda, life was good…

One day ill sneak over a fill Marty’s spot penn

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 07-14-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the info.
bhl (Bruce)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:21 PM

Thank God you didn't light them up at Tolchester. I would feel pretty silly running to Love Point if the fish we practically swimming in my slip

Old 07-15-2014, 05:11 PM

Thank you for the report Fish nut...

I have no experience fishing for catfish but I know they are in our area what type did you catch.

I had seen some small ones in a buddies crab trap maybe 2 years ago in my area.

how do you target them and how do you cook them if u don't mind me asking.

don't tell me your noodling for them..I don't think I'm up for that .

By the way the croaker fishing is still outstanding in the Edgewater area I had my best catch two days ago. I took home10 fish over 14 inches with plenty of throwbacks.

Jimmy
Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM

JIMbob1, I don't normally target catfish. However after seeing first hand how easy it was I may have to schedule another trip Fun relaxing catching. We were catching channel cats exclusively... No Blue or Flatheads.

Basically, the set up was a hi -low rig or single hook rig with fish finders on the bottom. long shank hooks with 2 oz of weight Chicken liver or earth worms worked for us.. Chum Chum Chum

My buddy actually filleted the side off of them and removed the darker sliver of meat from the fillet. As far as cooking. drop them in water to clean them off and dredged them in fish fry breading... hot 375 degree oil for 4-5 minutes sprinkle with a little old bay wow

Channel Catfish
Ictalurus punctatus
(A.K.A. Forked Tail, Spotted Cat, River Cats)

Key Distinguishing Markings:
•Channel catfish are members of the bullhead catfish family, Ictaluridae, and are a freshwater species that are commonly found in estuarine waters.
•Channel catfish are long slender fish with barbels on the chin that look like long black whiskers. There are four pairs of barbels around the mouth, two on the chin, one at the angle of the mouth, and one behind the nostril.
•Channel catfish lack scales and possess an adipose fin, as well as a single, often serrated spine in the dorsal and pectoral fins.
•The channel catfish is generally gray to greenish-gray on the upper part of its slender body, silver to white on its lower half and belly and has a deeply forked tail. Small adults and juveniles have black or dusky spots on their body.
•Channel catfish typically possess an anal fin with 24 to 30 rays.

Size:
•One of the largest catfish species found in North America and can weigh near 60 pounds.
•Maryland state tidal water record is 29 pounds 10 oz. It was caught in the tidal Potomac River near Mattawoman Creek.
•The freshwater record is 27.92 pounds and was caught in the upper Potomac River.

Distribution:
•The native range of channel catfish extends from southern Canada, through the Great Lakes and central United States drainage system, to Mexico including all the Gulf states and some of the Atlantic coast.
•However, due to extensive introductions, their current range includes all of the Pacific and Atlantic drainage systems in the 48 continental states.
•As a non-native species, channel catfish have become very successful in tidal and non tidal waters across the state.

Habitat:
•Channel catfish live mainly in fresh water and can be found in the freshwater portion of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries.
•Channel catfish prefer deep pools around logs, rocks and other structure where they can hide.

Food Preference:
•Catfish are primarily bottom feeders that feed at night.
•Channel catfish are omnivorous, meaning they eat both plants and animals.
•Common food items include aquatic plants and seeds, fish, mollusks, insects and their larvae, and crustaceans.
•Although channel catfish have poor eyesight, their barbels are well-equipped with taste buds which help them find food at night and in muddy waters.

Spawning:
•Channel catfish spawn in late spring when water temperatures reach 75oF and lay approximately 2,000 to 21,000 eggs in turbid tributaries.
•It is not uncommon for the male fish to spawn with more than one female.
•These fish select nest sites in dark depressions, cavities, or undercut stream banks, or inside crevices, hollow logs, or man-made containers
•Spawning success is dependent on available cover.
•Upon hatching, catfish fry sometimes aggregate in tight schools after leaving the nest until suitable cover is found.
•Fingerlings school together during daylight hours and disperse and feed at night.

Fishing Tips:
•Channel catfish are very good to eat.
•Fresh baits such as peeler or soft crab, shrimp, squid, chicken liver, processed catfish bait, hot dogs and cut fish are good baits for catching channel catfish.
•Popular methods for fishing include bait casting and bottom fishing.

•For current recreational size and creel limits, see Maryland's updated regulation page.

Fun Fact:
•The sportfishing world record is a specimen from South Carolina that weighed 58 pounds.

Family: Ictaluridae (North American freshwater catfishes)

Order: Siluriformes (catfish)

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zatarains-Seasoned-Fish-Fry-Breading-Mix.jpg (52.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ChannelCatOhioDNR.jpg (20.9 KB, 4 views)

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 07-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.