Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Default Felt like Lott's wife today

I knew it was going to be a little snotty this morning My weather predictions showed the wind laying down later in the morning. Well, that didn't happen. One of my crew was a no-show this morning (guess he had more sense than me) so we cut the corner off Bodkin Creek into a stiff NE wind. At least we were headed south and had the wind at our backs Up the wave and down the other end we went from my slip to Hackets (2 1/2's with some three's mixed in).
Dropped lines and ran the edge all the way to Thomas Point (while keeping a sharp lookout for crab pots). Picked up a nice keeper; that got off beside the boat Saw two charters working inside Tolly Point. They made a few passes and quickly moved off inside the Severn.
Where in tarnation was the sun We had blue sky over Baltimore (north) and with a NE wind blowing the way it was, it should have chased those clouds away in no time. But ohhh noooo. It was down right chilly out there. Good thing I had the drop curtains to buffer us against the wind.
As I passed Thomas Point, I picked up rods and we ran (maybe more of a fast walk) across the Chesapeake to Eastern Bay. I hoped to get out of the wind and find some fish I didn't have to go far. Hundreds of birds working over dink rock. The fish were too small to even take 6 inch Storm Shads. We cast a couple jigs out and trolled them. Sure enough, more dinks. I had so many birds around the boat, they were crapping on the gunnels. We trolled some deep lures in hopes of picking up a keeper or two; but no dice.
I picked up lines again, lowered the trim tabs, and up the bay (into the wind) we went. I was headed for Podickory Point. Maybe there was a keeper north of the bridge As we approached Sandy Point Light, we once again found a ton of birds and dinks under them east of the channel.
I swung over to the western side and ran over Skip's secret spot I couldn't buy a keeper rock anywhere. It was beginning to look like a "skunk". I couldn't let that happen, so I picked up and ran to the mouth of the Patapsco. I have been doing fairly well in here with smaller 23 inch rock. The sun came out and the wind laid down. The stars were beginning to align
I trolled the edges, the middle, and in-between the channel markers. Still couldn't buy a bite. Called it a day (bad day) and slid the boat back into the slip. When I got off the boat and walked beside her on the pier, I couldn't believe all the salt that was all over the boat (Hence Lott's wife). I had to wash/rinse all the rods, tackle, rod holders, and the boat.
What an exhausting day. I'm beat and humbled.
5th
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 PM

Just proves you're human Marty! What fun would it be if you caught them EVERYDAY??

Old 10-26-2015, 08:40 PM

Talking

Sorry it was a snotty day for you, let me guess, your no show was Danny? It's kinda hard to single handily wipe out the rockfish population with a report like that! Did you try any skinny water, I've been hearing some very interesting stories about it.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM

Yep; Danny didn't show I even called his phone; it went to voicemail.

That's OK, if there was ever a trip to miss, this was it

I saw the fish our resident "rastifarian" brought back Sunday evening, and I heard where he got them

I've been fishing so close to home lately, I wanted to run past all the fish to look for "possible" fish

The weather gave me plenty of excuses; but in essence, I just couldn't find them. There were literally thousands of birds and small fish up in Eastern Bay. It was good to see EB alive again. It certainly reflects that we (Chesapeake) are a nursery for the rock. There were fewer birds over small breaking fish outside Sandy Point; but still plenty of future trophy's.

I don't know if it was environmental conditions, the slot limit for trophy's, or a combination of the two; but I hope we have several years of great spawns like this year. Maybe I can pull fewer than 20 rods in the spring

I'm seriously thinking of putting the boat back on the trailer. I can hear the Choptank, Solomon's, and Point Lookout calling my name.
5th
Old 10-27-2015, 08:36 AM

I figured he didn't make it after reading your report and him telling me he stuck his nose out and was too windy for him. At that point I knew he was not with you. Sorry he stood you up, could have at least answered phone! Strange fellow sometimes. He doesn't realize how bad he screwed up skipping out on trip with you!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 AM

Tough day Marty. Hopefully some bigger fish show up in the near future.

27 Judge "HOOK 'EM"
bhl (Bruce)
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 AM

Oh, I forgot to tell you my sailboat story

I'm trolling an edge south from Hacketts. I have a crab pot line on my inside and deep water to my outside. I'm trolling about 3.5 - 4.5 mph (depending on whether I was going up the wave or down it). Behind me, I see a sailboat coming out of the Severn; under sail and gaining on me.

I now get edgy when I see another boat headed right up my a$$.

I turn to port (deeper water) to get away from him. This takes me off my "edge" but better than the alternative. I run this course for a few minutes and look back to see him still headed up my stern. I now have enough room to cut back to starboard without getting into pots. So I get back on my original course.

Here he comes, headed straight for me. He's now close enough for me to start waving my arms at him. There are NO other boats anywhere near me. You would have to use binoculars to find another boat He's too far away to hear me, and I would have been shouting into the stiff wind.

I decide to start blowing my horn, maybe that sound will cut through the wind. Still no response. I see movement inside the cockpit and as he passes 50 ft away from me, he come out on deck.

I yelled, "REALLY, there's not another boat in sight and you have to run up on me and my fishing lines like this". "What the F@%k's wrong with you?" I didn't improve the relations between sailors and power boaters

He said, "I was staying inside of you". I said, "Don't stay inside of me, get the f@%k away from me".

He went back down below, probably to set his course to Norfolk I hope

I know several of my friends carry a small canister air horn at their helm. Looks like I need to get one; even for those days when only two boats leave their dock
5th
Old 10-27-2015, 10:22 AM

You don't need a air horn, you need a south Florida sailboat cocktail to offer the sailor. Very simple to mix:
Ingredients:
(1) ballon
(2) cups water
(4) tablespoons yellow mustard

Simply mix all ingredients in water balloon and store in cool place. Cooler fool of ice with adult beverages works perfect.
When the offender approaches too close, you will know. Simply remove balloon with cocktail in it and throw as hard as you can into their sail. Once balloon busts it is near impossible for them to remove stain from sail and they will NEVER approach a fishing vessel again.
Has worked great in the keys with sailboats transiting between the mainland and the caribian islands when we are kite fishing for sailfish and they try to pass between boat and kite with their masts.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 PM

I've wanted to put a paintball gun onboard for such occasions as this. I can't think of a better way to warn other boaters that there "stern" may be in danger than spraying a rainbow across their sail.
Just think the Coast Guard or DNR MIGHT want to chat with me afterwards for some reason.....