Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 AM

Default Braid to Mono

Hi all,

I just spooled a few reels with 50 lb power pro braid and getting ready to add my mono top shots.

For those that do; How much mono do you use for trolling? I was thinking about adding 20 feet of mono?

Is that about right?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM

Twice as much as you expect to normally let out for trolling for each rod/combo set-up.

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><
Old 04-01-2014, 05:16 PM

I use about 6-8 feet with singles and about 5 and 10 with tandems.

I tie a Sampo BB swivel to braid - then a leader if single or three way swivel if tandem.

It's quick and easy to retie new short leaders.

I like 60 lb clear Ande. I'll cut and retie lure knot often and check first 2-3 feet of leader after each fish. Any chafe at all - I cut it off.

1/4 spool lasts all season. I use a beer huggee with lb test in magic marker - 1/4 lb spool fits perfect.

Keeps it from unspooling all over deck plus protects line from UV damage.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:02 PM

Are you asking about top shot or leader lengths?

2008 Maycraft 2550XL (The Hunter) - Yamaha F250
Grassy Key, Marathon
<*)))))><
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

1/4 spool lasts all season. I use a beer huggee with lb test in magic marker - 1/4 lb spool fits perfect.

Keeps it from unspooling all over deck plus protects line from UV damage.
Awesome tip - I'll add that to my arsenal for sure.

Sorry if I was unclear/incorrect when I wrote topshot. I have the reels spooled with 100 yards of 50 lb braid and I'm adding 50 lb mono to the business end. Then the (snap) swivel/leader/rig follows after that.

Last year was my first year experimenting with Braid. I made the mistake of attaching the swivel directly to the braid and then leaders following the swivel. The problem I encountered was when I de-rigged and put everything away at the end of the trip(s). I normally clip the (snap) swivel to a rod guide when I store it. The rough edge on one of my (snap) swivels chaffed the braid where it rubbed against it. Luckily I noticed the problem before fishing with it, otherwise would have definitely lost the tackle (and fish). But I ended up having to retie everything on the boat that day last minute instead of setting gear (which was a pain to say the least).

So, this time - I'm adding 20' of mono, so when there is nothing rigged at all - the braid is all stored on the reel (nothing exposed along the rod running through the guides).

I'm assuming 20' will be sufficient for this purpose. And as it wears, I'll just remove it and add another 20'.

Last edited by MikeVJ; 04-02-2014 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:22 PM

I'm a bit curious about how your rigging..or where you got this idea?
Ive not seen where you put mono on top of braid? Only place ive seen it done is with wind-on offshore rigs.
Also how you pulling the swivel through the guides with 20 ft of leader mono?
Or are you not doing the windon and just hand lining the last 20ft of mono?

Most put mono backing on reels 1st. Allow enough room for about 150 yds of braid on top of mono backing. I use 50#+. Never had a chaffing issue. I rig the lure, swivel, etc directly to the braid with a sampo swivel.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Interesting idea. Unless you are fishing with 10' rods though, why do 20'? Unless you tie a double uniknot or something else you can wind on, it is just going to add to the amount of handlining you have to do to land the fish.

I also used braid really for the first time last year and never had an issue but was going to change back to mono anyway. That braid can be dangerous and problematic. I'm not running lines deep enough to really worry about needing braid. I do like it on jigging rods though, there it is a must!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Yes, I joined the mono and braid with a knot that passes through the guides, so I just reel up to the mono and then hand line the last few feet. *

* At least that's the plan - I hafta' actually hookup first...

I also have a net, but yesterday I saw a youtube video where they were just reeling up and then pulling the fish over the transom (outboard). I could probably try that too.

Anyone here use that technique?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 AM

If you are looking for a good YouTube video, do a search for Chesapeake Bay trolling "Hunter on the Bay".
Excellent example of how many of us fish the bay and using good Catch and Release techniques.
Slow it down to check out the type of tackle he uses and lures.

Perhaps someone can find the link and post it for him.
5th