Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2015, 07:03 PM

Default Felt like Lott's wife today

I knew it was going to be a little snotty this morning My weather predictions showed the wind laying down later in the morning. Well, that didn't happen. One of my crew was a no-show this morning (guess he had more sense than me) so we cut the corner off Bodkin Creek into a stiff NE wind. At least we were headed south and had the wind at our backs Up the wave and down the other end we went from my slip to Hackets (2 1/2's with some three's mixed in).
Dropped lines and ran the edge all the way to Thomas Point (while keeping a sharp lookout for crab pots). Picked up a nice keeper; that got off beside the boat Saw two charters working inside Tolly Point. They made a few passes and quickly moved off inside the Severn.
Where in tarnation was the sun We had blue sky over Baltimore (north) and with a NE wind blowing the way it was, it should have chased those clouds away in no time. But ohhh noooo. It was down right chilly out there. Good thing I had the drop curtains to buffer us against the wind.
As I passed Thomas Point, I picked up rods and we ran (maybe more of a fast walk) across the Chesapeake to Eastern Bay. I hoped to get out of the wind and find some fish I didn't have to go far. Hundreds of birds working over dink rock. The fish were too small to even take 6 inch Storm Shads. We cast a couple jigs out and trolled them. Sure enough, more dinks. I had so many birds around the boat, they were crapping on the gunnels. We trolled some deep lures in hopes of picking up a keeper or two; but no dice.
I picked up lines again, lowered the trim tabs, and up the bay (into the wind) we went. I was headed for Podickory Point. Maybe there was a keeper north of the bridge As we approached Sandy Point Light, we once again found a ton of birds and dinks under them east of the channel.
I swung over to the western side and ran over Skip's secret spot I couldn't buy a keeper rock anywhere. It was beginning to look like a "skunk". I couldn't let that happen, so I picked up and ran to the mouth of the Patapsco. I have been doing fairly well in here with smaller 23 inch rock. The sun came out and the wind laid down. The stars were beginning to align
I trolled the edges, the middle, and in-between the channel markers. Still couldn't buy a bite. Called it a day (bad day) and slid the boat back into the slip. When I got off the boat and walked beside her on the pier, I couldn't believe all the salt that was all over the boat (Hence Lott's wife). I had to wash/rinse all the rods, tackle, rod holders, and the boat.
What an exhausting day. I'm beat and humbled.
5th