Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Default Tandem 2/4 oz depth

I run 40# mono on most of my reels in the spring. I know this line causes drag which will act to lift the tandems I am running with a lot of line out, compared to running braid.

Is there a maximum depth the a 2/4oz tandem will reach when running 40# mono at 3kts? It seems to me that there is a max depth that the tandem will achieve at which point, it doesn't matter how much more line is let out.

So, how deep would a 2/4oz tandem run with 40# mono at 3kts?

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-19-2010, 06:00 PM

There are charts out there that show depth for weigh/line out. I find them suspect to real world.

Best way is to let out the amount of line - then troll slowly into shallow water until you see the lures hit bottom. reel up quick and make note of depth.

Now for the ***** of this. Going into or with the current can change the lure depth - as can a choppy day when boat speed wanders.

Even where the rod is placed - off a hard top vs 90* out the side - can change the depth.

It pays to try to stagger weights/line lengths to cover various depths.

One thing in spring - I put more faith in the shallow lures then deep ones. Rock will come up 10 to 15 feet to hit a lure but rarely go deeper after one.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 PM

A 2/4 tandem chute will run with the 2oz about 2 feet deep and the 4oz about 18 inches below that......thats with 100 ft out.
Sandpiper Charters www.goinsfishin.com
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM

I used to try to figure out my depths and whatnot. It got to the point where I never got an exact answer so I just started putting my lines out at fixed distances. In the Spring, my 2/4's are out at 100' when I initially set it. If I have to reset it, I usually just put it at the same distance out as my nearest line which is usually around 40-45'. They get hit at either distance. Like Skip said, I think the fish will attack from underneath anyway so the few extra feet in depth doesn't really matter.