Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Oppose SB 37

MSSA members have already received the correspondence below, but here it is for everyone:

The Maryland General Assembly convened for its 427th session last week on January 13, 2010 and once again we are seeing an attempt by the commercial fishermen to prolong and prohibit any positive change for the Chesapeake Bay.
It goes without saying that a healthier and more sustainable oyster population will only improve recreational fishing on the Bay. Governor O’Malley and his staff have created an Oyster Restoration and Aquaculture Development Plan that will move us forward in rebuilding our once thriving oyster population and provide tremendous fishing opportunities as well
Since 1994, the Chesapeake Bay’s oyster population has languished at 1 percent of historic levels; quality oyster bars have decreased 80 percent (from 200,000 acres to 36,000 acres)
As proposed, the plan will:
• Increase Maryland’s network of oyster sanctuaries — from 9 percent to 24 percent of remaining quality habitat. Sanctuaries allow oysters to live longer, spawn without harvest pressure and, over time, develop natural resistance to disease. DNR is also undertaking a number of enforcement reforms, including a collaborative effort with federal partners to install a network of radars and cameras that will help Natural Resources Police monitor oyster sanctuaries and prevent poaching.
• Increase areas open to leasing for oyster aquaculture and streamline the permitting process. This is based on the legislation Governor O’Malley sponsored in 2009 and unanimously approved by the General Assembly, and will include the opening of 95,524 acres of natural oyster bars and hundreds of thousands of acres on the lower Eastern Shore to leasing.
• Maintain 167,720 acres of natural oyster bars for the wild oyster fishery, including 76 percent of the Bay’s remaining quality oyster habitat. This will allow for continued support of a more targeted, sustainable, and scientifically managed public oyster fishery(Department of Natural Resources, Jan 6, 2010)

HOWEVER, Senator Colburn has introduced SB 37 which would in fact contradict everything Governor O’Malley, Department of Natural Resources (DNR), and the Oyster Advisory Commission has suggested we do to rebuild our oyster population. SB 37 would prohibit the Department of Natural Resources from prohibiting the use of patent tongs and power dredges to catch oysters in the waters of the State.

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP

Please contact your Senator and let them know that you OPPOSE SB 37 and tell them to do the same!

Click here to find your elected official - http://mdelect.net/electedofficials/

I would also ask that you contact the senators on the Senate Education Health and Environmental Affairs Committee and let them know that recreational anglers of Maryland OPPOSE SB 37. This is very important and we cannot let this slip through.

Copy and paste the following list to email ALL of the Committee members at once

joan.carter.conway@senate.state.md.us
roy.dyson@senate.state.md.us
david.harrington@senate.state.md.us
mike.lenett@senate.state.md.us
paul.pinsky@senate.state.md.us
edward.reilly@senate.state.md.us
richard.colburn@senate.state.md.us
andrew.harris@senate.state.md.us
jim.rosapepe@senate.state.md.us

Senator Joan Carter Conway , Chair
Phone: 410-841-3145
Email: joan.carter.conway@senate.state.md.us

Senator Roy Dyson , Vice-Chair
Phone: 410-841-3673
Email: roy.dyson@senate.state.md.us

Senator David Harrington
Phone: 410-841-3745
Email: david.harrington@senate.state.md.us

Senator Michael Lenett
Phone: 410-841-3151
Email: mike.lenett@senate.state.md.us

Senator Paul Pinsky
Phone: 410-841-3155
Email: paul.pinsky@senate.state.md.us

Senator Edward Reilly
Phone: 410-841-3568
Email: edward.reilly@senate.state.md.us

Senator James Rosapepe
Phone: 410-841-3141
Email: jim.rosapepe@senate.state.md.us

Senator Andrew Harris
Phone: 410-841-3706
Email: andrew.harris@senate.state.md.us

Senator Richard Colburn
Phone: 410-841-3590
Email: richard.colburn@senate.state.md.us

www.DCMSSA.org
Twitter: @DCMSSA
www.facebook.com/DCMSSA

23' SeaCraft, Twin E-Tec 150s
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM

I don't really know what patent tongs and power dredges do, but I'd imagine it's the only way for commercial oystermen to harvest oysters?

I could do without oysters for a few years if it'll really help the bay's health, but I don't want to see hardworking people legislated out of work either.

What does Senator Colburn hope to do with his bill?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
I don't really know what patent tongs and power dredges do, but I'd imagine it's the only way for commercial oystermen to harvest oysters?

I could do without oysters for a few years if it'll really help the bay's health, but I don't want to see hardworking people legislated out of work either.

What does Senator Colburn hope to do with his bill?
Be elected governor.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot77 View Post
Nope, not the only 2 ways, but the easiest 2 ways...

Hand tonging and diving are more labor intensive, but MUCH less damaging to the bottom.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Nope, not the only 2 ways, but the easiest 2 ways...

Hand tonging and diving are more labor intensive, but MUCH less damaging to the bottom.
Ok.

I'm no advocate for commercial watermen; I just like to know as much as possible about an issue before I contact my representatives. Most of them are so used to heaing from me on other issues that I frequently get phone calls from some with follow up questions and I don't want to embarrass myself anymore than I already do on a regular basis.