Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Clean Water/Eastern Bay

Not much of a fishing report. Today was my wifes birthday so she took off work and we went kayaking on the Eastern Shore. We went to the end of Kent Island and the Romankoke fishing pier. They have a small beach capable of launching the yaks. We headed east and paddled into "No Name Cove". As we paddled; I couldn'r get over the clearness of the water. We could actually see the wave lines on the sand three feet beneath us. There was a ton of grass in the cove, and we just glided over the grass watching the fish and crabs scoot under the kayaks. The wife said it reminded her of Florida's glass bottom boats.
After yaking we changed into some better clothes back at the park and headed to the "Narrows" resturant for some dinner.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Glad you both had a great time. I love that peir it's less then a mile to my home..

TED
Old 06-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Marty,

Thanks !

That brings back memories of fishing around Parson's Island as a kid and wading through the grass in Cabin Creek to chase down a bushel of crabs with only a net in hand for dinner....The water was so clear back then...Seems like its been 30 years since it was like that.....

Hope ya guys had a great day...

Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Not much of a fishing report. Today was my wifes birthday so she took off work and we went kayaking on the Eastern Shore. We went to the end of Kent Island and the Romankoke fishing pier. They have a small beach capable of launching the yaks. We headed east and paddled into "No Name Cove". As we paddled; I couldn'r get over the clearness of the water. We could actually see the wave lines on the sand three feet beneath us. There was a ton of grass in the cove, and we just glided over the grass watching the fish and crabs scoot under the kayaks. The wife said it reminded her of Florida's glass bottom boats.
After yaking we changed into some better clothes back at the park and headed to the "Narrows" resturant for some dinner.
5th (Marty)
Happy Birthday to your wife Marty. I grew up in Romancoke on Allegheny Rd. and remember walking the water off the beach through the grass and getting a bushel of crabs in an hour. That was 50 years ago. Glad to see the grass coming back and life amoungst it. Our house was right down the street from Night Nurses parents house. Kent Island was a sleepy little town back then. Great memories. Thanks for sharing your day!..........Gary
Old 06-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
Happy Birthday to your wife Marty. I grew up in Romancoke on Allegheny Rd. and remember walking the water off the beach through the grass and getting a bushel of crabs in an hour. That was 50 years ago. Glad to see the grass coming back and life amoungst it. Our house was right down the street from Night Nurses parents house. Kent Island was a sleepy little town back then. Great memories. Thanks for sharing your day!..........Gary
50 years ago you could sight oysters in Eastern Bay in 12 to 15 feet of water.

Romancoke had a ferry for a year or so after the Bay Bridge opened. Ran to Claiborne.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
50 years ago you could sight oysters in Eastern Bay in 12 to 15 feet of water.

Romancoke had a ferry for a year or so after the Bay Bridge opened. Ran to Claiborne.
Correct. The old Kent Motel was on Rt 8 and things were A LOT different.......Gary
Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM

As a fisherman - that is good to hear.
As a bay diver - that is great to hear.
Let's hope the grass and clean water continue to spread.

Wish I was around when seeing down 10 to 12 feet was normal - now 10 to 12 inches of visibilty is considered good conditions.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM

The wife also reminded me of something else we saw. I've seen bait balls on TV where tuna tear through the bait ball while feeding. We didn't see any fish feeding; but I got to see my first big bait ball. No wonder it comes across as a cloud on the fish finder. Because the water was so clean; we could see a big bait ball (about six ft wide and four ft deep) moving across the top of the water. Usually; I just see the top of the bait, but today I could see the bottom of the bait ball. At times it was a true ball, tightly wrapped like a ball of string. Other times it would seperate into two balls and then unify again. It was fun to watch. It appears the smaller fish were at the edges and the larger (smarter) fish were in the center. Whenever the ball would seem to difuse, it was those damn small fish on the edge that wandered off. Soon, they would notice their mistake and come back to the pack and reform the ball.
I could have watched them for an hour, but the lure of more to see enticed us to move on and explore. The bait was larger than minnows; but I don't know exactly what they were. They appeared to have a single stripe on them (almost like tetra's in a fish tank, but this may just have been because of the angle we were watching). I would guess they were about four or five inches long. I know they weren't minnows, certainly not glass minnows, they could have been small peanut bunker.
I kept imagining them in 50 ft of water, about 25 ft down, and large marks around them on the lowrance. Next time I see a cloud of bait come across the screen, I'll think back to this day.
5th (Marty)
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabby and son View Post
Correct. The old Kent Motel was on Rt 8 and things were A LOT different.......Gary
Yeah. The property for it came off the Breeding farm. A cousin.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Yeah. The property for it came off the Breeding farm. A cousin.
Reds, It's harder for us older guys that saw the bay 50+ years ago. The younger fellas know it's bad now but never had the chance to see it when it was beautiful and clean. The memories are still crystal clear............Gary