Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Peanut bunker everywhere

Haven't been fishing much as I have been rebuilding the wife's jetski and breaking it in. When I was out running around in the bay there are pods of peanut bunker everywhere but no fish marked around them.??? Did hear of croaker in the mouth of the Severn though. I haven't been seeing many boats out fishing. Is the fishing that dead? No reports to confirm or deny.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:31 PM

Because I'm without a boat; I haven't been out much. The few times I have been out; I also saw lots of bait pods. I guess it means good fishing in the future; at least they have food. I'm hoping it draws the spanish mackeral up as far as last year AND if it draws the migrating trophy fish up to the bridge this fall, sweet.
The hot weather has me somewhat concerned. I hope the water temp doesn't get too high and we see a fish kill in the near future. The lack of rain should help decrease the amount of runoff from agriculture or storm drains and sewage. Let's hope we see moderate (temp. and rainfall) the rest of the summer.
If my boat was ready; I would only be fishing in the morning and evenings the rest of this week.
5th (Marty)
Old 07-06-2010, 01:03 PM

I have also seen a lot of bait pods. With little to no predators feeding on them. Except for cownose rays, they have been crushing the bait pods. The lack of rain has definitely increased the water clarity and will probably increase the salinity of the water.
One area I fish & crab is so clear I can see bottom in 5’ of water. It also has a tremendous amount of grass which the fish and crabs use to hide from the rays

The Spanish should be in around mid August with good numbers of blues.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 07-06-2010, 02:10 PM

I was fishing at Hacketts yesterday morning and seen more bait pods than I could count!

As far as croaker we caught a dozen of them on bloodworms between 10" and 13". We were mainly fishing for spot to do some livelining and we only caught 6 which 4 of them couldn't have been 3" long. The tide was dead around 10:00 and I killed the spot and a few croaker for no good reason trying to get some Rock to bite.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Was out in the bay again last night just trying to stay cool on the skis and there are a lot of approx 7" alewifes floating and also a few horseshoe crabs.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:27 PM

Was out last night and got a repeat of Sunday...There are pods of fish everywhere...Last night I had to keep moving becuase although there was a ton of bait, it just did not hold fish....

At one point the rays were so thick where I was I was pulling the lines to move yet again and ended up losing two lures that, by accident, I hooked into the "wings" of two rays....

Because the rays were so thick and the bait was just balling up to get away from the rays, I finally said to heck with it and went home....

I think the hot weather, lack of rain, etc...are really affecting the fishing....I can't complain about water clarity, I would love to be able to see 10 or more feet down.... but man I hope that the rays start to disperse soon...

Can't beleive I am saying this but cant wait for blues to get here so I can have some fun in those pods of fish....