Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Question for Computer Literate Friends

Hey CBA's I have a question for you.

"Background"
I have been spending some free time looking at lots of "YouTube" video's. While I must agree with Mike, Kate Upton can really dance; I have been mostly watching Striper Fishing video's and trying to pick up any tips that I can use on the charter. I have also viewed a bunch of striper video's from out of state. I wanted to see if the northern states (or Virginia) do some things differently, and I could incorporate their success.
Not only have I been amazed at how many video's are available, I have been confused as to why some have trouble "buffering" so that I can view the video without stopping to buffer.
In other words, most of the video's start and run constantly from beginning to end. Some, start and run for 30 seconds, then they stop, the computer buffers some more, it starts again, runs for 30 seconds, stops, buffers some more, etc...

"Question"
Are these video's shot differently? Is it the camera? Is it my computer? What gives? Captain John has purchased a camera similar to the "GoPro" and he wants to shoot some PSCR video this spring. Is there a particular setting we should use, or more importantly avoid?
What say you fellow CBA's
5th (Marty)
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM

I forgot to mention; it doesn't matter how long the video is I can view one that's 20 minutes long straight through. Yet, some that are 3 minutes long have trouble buffering.
5th
Old 02-07-2013, 08:34 PM

Default Youtube videos

Typically it is the videos shot in HD that buffer, they need more bandwidth. When viewing a video, click on the video to bring the controls up and look in the lower left corner of the screen . If you see HD, click on it to turn off HD, it will run in a lower resolution and should stop buffering.
I always shoot videos on my GoPro on the highest resolution for the best picture.

Last edited by onefishnfool; 02-07-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Good question. My wife's computer seems worse with playing videos than my computer at work. Not that I look at many videos at work !!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 PM

O,F,F Thanks, I suspected something like that. I view them on an ipad. It was so frustrating, I would just cancel the ones that would buffer all the time. I will look next time to see if I can view them in less than HD.
Thanks for the response.
5th (Marty)
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 PM

O,F.F Well that didn't work

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. If you go to YouTube and do a search for "Winter striper fishing in Virginia Beach aboard the Charter Boat Worm", you will get a video that's 9:14 long. It was uploaded Feb. 12, 2012.

It only runs about 5 seconds before buffering, again and again

When I tap on the video, it shows only a couple of things at the bottom left corner. When the video is running, I see the pause button (ll) and the timeline of the video.

I don't see any way in which to change the "definition" the video was shot.

any suggestions?
5th (Marty)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:06 AM

on the right hand side you should see something that looks like a gear, click on that
Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 AM

I tried to post earlier this morning but the site would not cooperate. As oldfart stated there may be a gear on the lower right corner depending how the ipad renders video. My phone has HQ on the lower left corner, my tablet has an HD on the lower left corner and the computer has a gear on the lower right corner. If you click on the gear choose a lower resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg youtubess.jpg (47.3 KB, 7 views)

Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 PM

Well; I have to hand it to you guys, you were right However; it appears that the bottom bar that O,F,F shows only appears on a PC not on my MAC's. I still can't find any way to decrease the resolution on my ipad or iphone. When I use the wifes PC; it shows up just fine and I can view the youtube video just fine (no buffering after I change the resolution).
I know there must be a way to change it on the ipad, but I'll figure it out later
5th (Marty)
Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 AM

Buy a Kindle LOL