Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Catching Spot In Traps Is Illegal

Issue- Legality of the use of spot pots by charter boat captains, recreational and commercial licensees.

An individual licensed with a fishing guide license (FGR or FGN) under 4-701 is only authorized to provide services as a fishing guide. This means to take compensation to take individuals recreationally fishing. It does
not convey any commercial fishing privileges or authorization to harvest with commercial fishing gear.
Recreational fishing gear is defined in Natural Resources Article 4-704(a) as hook and line, dip net operated by hand, spear gun, or bow and arrow. Gear other than that specified is commercial fishing gear. Therefore, an individual licensed with a fishing guide license (FGR or FGN) may not harvest finfish with any type of
commercial gear, including spot pots. In addition, recreational fishermen may not set spot pots.

However, an individual licensed with an Unlimited Tidal Fish License (TFL) or Unlimited Finfish License (FIN)
may use commercial fishing gear to harvest finfish. The Natural Resources Police is issuing citations for spot
pots that do not meet the definition of a fish pot in COMAR 08.02.05.02. A fish pot is defined as: a single,
finfish entrapment net device, without associated wings or leads, consisting of:
(a) An enclosure of various shapes covered with wire, fabric, or nylon mesh webbing of not less than 1 ½ inch
stretched mesh size;
(b) One or more conical entrance funnels;
(c) One or more unobstructed escape vents, in the holding chamber, of at least 2 ½ inches in diameter, if circular,
or 2 ½ inches stretched mesh size if square.
Fishing gear currently being utilized and referred to as spot pots are generally 24” by 24”, consist of stretch mess
less than 1 ½ inches and do not include any escape panels or cull rings. Spot pots are not a gear defined in Code
of Maryland Regulations, and they do not meet the current definition for a fish pot. This issue is under review by
Department counsel. The fact that the issue requires legal review is evidence that the regulation lacks clarity.
Therefore, Fisheries Service is further evaluating this issue and looking for recommendations from the
Commissions. There remains concern about increased effort to spot, particularly juveniles, and the by-catch
impacts of other important fisheries resources (i.e. striped bass, white perch, blue crabs). The spot fishery
management plan has specific objectives and strategies to protect juvenile spot. Spot do not mature until ages
two and three and lengths of seven to eight inches. The Department recommends further evaluation of spot pots
before allowing them to be a legal gear.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:03 PM

I thought people just KEPT spot in pots, but didn't actually use them for the catching part. (i.e. I dont know what a spot trap looks like but I do know what a spot pen looks like)

This may be more viable with minnow traps.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM

I was at the dnr meeting. Any fish trap or pot is classified as commercial gear (as are nets)... You must have a TFL to trap fish in pots. Capt O'brien did bring up the fact that this may give a competitive advantage to the charter capts who also carry TFL's. (many maryland charter capts also carry commercial fishing lisences, while others do not).

I do not think there are many recs who are running spot traps but if they are, it is illegal. Hook and line only for spot unless you have a TFL

I dont think a pen can be classified as a trap. A pen is nothing but an in water livewell.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM

You are correct Greg. A spot holding pen is legal to use if you caught the spot with a hook and line. A holding pen is not capable of catching or trapping a spot...............Gary
Old 07-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Faithful View Post
I was at the dnr meeting. Any fish trap or pot is classified as commercial gear (as are nets)... You must have a TFL to trap fish in pots. Capt O'brien did bring up the fact that this may give a competitive advantage to the charter capts who also carry TFL's. (many maryland charter capts also carry commercial fishing lisences, while others do not).

I do not think there are many recs who are running spot traps but if they are, it is illegal. Hook and line only for spot unless you have a TFL

I dont think a pen can be classified as a trap. A pen is nothing but an in water livewell.
Capt O'brien does not carry a TFL, but that was his choice. A tfl is $310 a year while Capt O'brien's license is but $50. So the unfair advantage he speaks of is not so unfair.

And yes there are a great deal of recs who catch Spot with traps and in the past the DNR has looked the other way.

Spot are not a bait fish by regulation, therefore the pens are a gray area. One of the things the ASMFC wants the DNR to look into is a daily limit. A daily limit will make the pens illegal if over one limit is kept unless you have a commercial finfish license.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds View Post
Capt O'brien does not carry a TFL, but that was his choice. A tfl is $310 a year while Capt O'brien's license is but $50. So the unfair advantage he speaks of is not so unfair.

And yes there are a great deal of recs who catch Spot with traps and in the past the DNR has looked the other way.

Spot are not a bait fish by regulation, therefore the pens are a gray area. One of the things the ASMFC wants the DNR to look into is a daily limit. A daily limit will make the pens illegal if over one limit is kept unless you have a commercial finfish license.
As the market for spot increases by the popularity of live lining, I feel a daily limit might not be a bad idea. There is just a TON of 2" spot in the bay right now............Gary
Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Someone said hook and line is the only legal way for recs. to catch their spot. What about a cast net. I would always throw it and the more spot the better. Since the spot are not protected as to size, daily creel limit or a seasonal time limit how can they be protected via hook and line only? Thank you, Bob
Old 07-28-2010, 08:24 PM

IMHO - there should not be any live Spot sold as bait.
Here's my opinion on why: If it takes less then an hour or so to get enough Spot for livelining - most anglers will do it.

If it takes 2-3 hours - some still will but most will not.

If it takes 4-5 hours to get enough Spot - very few will.

If it takes over 5 hours - doubt any sane angler would invest that much time.

Instead - they will troll or cast or chum.
Most liveliners have a back up plan if the Spot are tough to catch.

Hook and line catching them almost has a built in time limit. They get scarce - anglers stop trying for them.

I know first hand some legal commercial Spot potters who take over 2,500 of them a week. They sell for $10.00 a dozen - almost a dollar each.

In Delaware - some shops sell them for $20.00 a dozen - just shy of $2.00 each.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
IMHO - there should not be any live Spot sold as bait.
Here's my opinion on why: If it takes less then an hour or so to get enough Spot for livelining - most anglers will do it.

If it takes 2-3 hours - some still will but most will not.

If it takes 4-5 hours to get enough Spot - very few will.

If it takes over 5 hours - doubt any sane angler would invest that much time.

Instead - they will troll or cast or chum.
Most liveliners have a back up plan if the Spot are tough to catch.

Hook and line catching them almost has a built in time limit. They get scarce - anglers stop trying for them.

I know first hand some legal commercial Spot potters who take over 2,500 of them a week. They sell for $10.00 a dozen - almost a dollar each.

In Delaware - some shops sell them for $20.00 a dozen - just shy of $2.00 each.
Some rec fishermen choose to buy bait rather then spend the time trying to catch it legally. If the commercial fishermen are using illegal gear then they need to be ticketed. I also know first hand of commercial spot catchers who catch and sell legally.

$1.00 a piece sounds like a bait shop price..... $ .50 is more the norm off the boat.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 AM

Skip, the aquaculture of spot is going extremely well these days. I Think Keith at All tackle was looking into purchasing spot form the aquaculture company. The price would have to be around a 1.00 – 2.00 a fish to make a profit and account for losses in stock. I already pay 10.00 a dozen for blood worms why waist time catching spot when you invest the 10.00 toward a dozen spot that are raised in aquaculture. Should spot traps be used in the bay by recs or commercials? It all depends on the numbers and the population. These critters grow fast and are pretty good a replenishing themselves. The only concern I have herd so far is that they reach sexual maturity in year 2 or three of there life cycle. I would hope that any captain holding a commercial licenses potting spot for bait or resale would have to report the landing to DNR.

Imposing a daily limit is a feel good regulation at this point. is there a problem with the spot population on the east coast?

Cast nets are legal in Maryland, the specifics on mesh and such is on the DNR web site.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 07-29-2010 at 07:33 AM.