Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 10:10 AM

Post 8/1/10 Report Upper Bay

So I went out in the afternoon for a while yesterday...I know not the best time of day to be out but at least it was before the killer wind set in....

Went to 6' knoll and bottom bounced squid and clams....Like clockwork the clams produced decent white perch and the squid (dead sticked worked best) brought in the croaker....Most of the croaker were in the 12 to 14 inch range but still a lot of fun....The no perch was over 12, however, they were all the black tinted variety and much fatter than i have seen recently. I am starting to wonder if the black tinted fish are generally fatter than the yellowish/golden ones....Will keep an eye out for that.....

Love point showed me absolutely no love yesterday, however, the bait was much larger than I have seen on top, and the fish were breaking much higher...The only large schools I saw were over towards the Love Point area...I am thinking blues might have been chasing them....Could not hook one though....Anyone else seeing blues (I have gotten less than a handful so far this year) north of the brdige ?

Ended up outside of the Bodkin....Squid, clams, artificial worms, you name it all caught perch till I was tired of catching and packed it in.....

FYI after not seeing folks from DNR around the Bodkin I have seen boats around 6 PM the last two nights I was in that area.....Went through my supplies last time (mostly concerned about the fire extinguisher....check yours....) but past right by with a wave last night.....

I have to say, by this time last year there were a heck of a lot more blues and stripers north of the bridge...at least there were for me....I know the water is hot, salinity is high, but wow this year has been no where near last year...Maybe we are gearing up for a monster fall run !

Finally a shout out to all registered and non-registered (get registered) folks...There are a handful of us on line most of the time....Good guys, willing to share our questions as well as our reports....Lets all committ to reporting more and sharing so that the board lives on and we all end up catching instead of fishing....
Old 08-02-2010, 12:48 PM

I was out yesterday also, south of you, right under the dark cloud that was forming over Podickory/Love Point. There are a lot of silversides popping the surface but did not mark much if anything in or around them the whole day. All my favorite haunts are deserted. We ended at Podickory for about an hour before the wind came up.
When I was out Friday night on the ski I was drifting in a large school of bait and not marking one fish.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Paul,

Thanks...I feel a heck of a lot better...I was seeing the same type of thing...Have been for the last couple of days....Lots of bait and not a thing in the world under it....Almost like they are practicing the school and jump for when it happens !

I can get hardhead, perch, and channel cats pretty much whenever I want....I would just like to catch a few more stripers this summer and I cant believe I am saying it, catch a few more blues as well...

At least I am not the only one who could not understand the lack of predator fish....

Have not heard that Podickery has been the same as the last couple of years either...Still true, not many fish ?

Good luck to you next time you are out....