Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.ClubSeaRay.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Go Back   CBAngler.com - Chesapeake Bay Angler - The Ultimate Fisherman's Resource > CBAngler Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 AM

Default Spring Preps...

Thought it would be interesting to see everyones spring prep pictures.

Last night and this morning I re-rigged 32 umbrellas with new shad. Eight big ones for the deep rods and 24 smaller ones for the boards and WWB. I normally run 17 rods, so obviously some of these are extras.

I also took some of the mylar Blue Water Candy teasers and rigged up one of the white umbrellas with the teasers on the shad. It worked well on a friends boat last fall....we will see how it works in the spring.

I'm also gonna run an Ilander behind an umbrella on one rod instead of a parachute or bucktail ... once again, we knocked the **** out of them last fall on a blue & white iilander that we rigged up as a joke.

Headed out to drop the boat off at BOE now...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 umbrellas.jpg (47.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IILANDER.jpg (14.8 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Tawn; 03-17-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 AM

The burning of the socks isn't until the 23rd. Cover up that foot

Nice looking umbrellas.

5th
Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
The burning of the socks isn't until the 23rd. Cover up that foot

Nice looking umbrellas.

5th
Lol....It was 78 degrees in the garage as I was rigging them up. Last year it was 82 degrees on March 15th...where in the hell is this global warming I hear so much about?

Dropped the boat off with Jim at BOE this morning, went to BPS picked up new flares, an orange dry box to put them in and a new pair of de-hookers. Went to All Tackle in Annapolis on the way home and had them make me up some 10' tag lines for my planer boards and got a few MORE parachutes. As much as I tried to find something else that I couldn't live without at BPS & All Tackle..It sees as though I have almost two of everything needed to get this season underway!

Last edited by Tawn; 03-16-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
had them make me up some 10' tag lines for my planer boards :
What is this? My guess is a line that goes between the boat and the planer line to keep the boat from getting scratched up? If this is right, is there something better about a tag line than just using a standard dock line? Please educate me, I could use the help.

Also, Dear God that's a lot of umbrellas. You are allowed to drag singles and tandems too you know If you're dragging that many baits behind you, be careful the Omega fleet doesn't start chasing you around!!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Jeff,
My mistake. "Tag line" was not the correct term to describe what I picked up today. I do use 3/8" dock line for a tag lines. I think the attached graphic describes the way I pull boards better than I can describe it verbaly.

Too many umbrellas...Blasphemy!! There's no such thing! Fish above Parkers Creek won't hit singles or tandems...Jeeze...I thought everybody knew that! Lol..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Planer Boards.jpg (86.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM

Haven't done much so far pulled props to get some work done on them. Removing the boat from storage when ever the rain stops. Need to pull trailer tires inspect brakes re pack all wheel bearings. Triple axel take some time. Ton of other small items plus wax wax wax.

Also purchased a pair of Penn senator 114 that I need to spool. Haven't decided if i want to use bright hi vis line or clear? How many are running hi vis line?

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot
Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM

Fish nut- I run ALL hi vis yellow line when trolling; much easier to see what is where.

Fawn- thanks for the info. I guess I can't make it to Parker's creek- between the price of that many umbrellas and the price of fuel, it is WAAAAY out of my reach.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM

I guess this is the one time of the year I can be thankful to not own a decent sized boat. Trolling from a 15' bass boat or a 10' watertender requires little more than a medium action rod and a couple of crankbaits.

I did put new hooks on a few of my favorite lures though. And I cleaned out a lot of beat up old plastics that I had squirreled away in my tackle bags.

I did find a nearly new Yamaha 2.5 hp 4 stroke for $200 to put on that little watertender though. My son will RULE the Little Magothy in that thing this year.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Thought it would be interesting to see everyones spring prep pictures.

Last night and this morning I re-rigged 32 umbrellas with new shad. Eight big ones for the deep rods and 28 smaller ones for the boards and WWB. I normally run 17 rods, so obviously some of these are extras.

I also took some of the mylar Blue Water Candy teasers and rigged up one of the white umbrellas with the teasers on the shad. It worked well on a friends boat last fall....we will see how it works in the spring.

I'm also gonna run an Ilander behind an umbrella on one rod instead of a parachute or bucktail ... once again, we knocked the **** out of them last fall on a blue & white iilander that we rigged up as a joke.

Headed out to drop the boat off at BOE now...
Here are some of our weapons of spring.

Also a pic of some kind of pesky fish that kept hitting the last Islander that we pulled.

bhl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1113.jpg (88.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (91.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:58 AM

FYI: DNR announced umbrella rigs to be illegal for spring season